Why does the current take this path?

In summary, Kirchhoff's laws were incorrectly followed in the current measurements. However, the solution specifies that there should be no arrows in the current paths, which is why there is no current through the RH loop.
AXRY

Homework Statement

(see attached file)

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's laws

The Attempt at a Solution

(see attached file) I only included the work for measurement 1 since measurement 2 follows from that.

I got both voltage values correct. However the paths of the current flow was incorrect for both measurements. (See the attached file for solution) It specifically states that "Arrows to show that the current is only in the left hand loop i.e. not through R3." are needed, but I also included arrows for the RH loop.

My question: Why is there no current through the RH loop i.e. through R3? Is it because the voltmeter in that loop has an infinite resistance? If yes does this always apply?

Attachments

• Problem Statement.PNG
    Problem Statement.PNG
    26.9 KB · Views: 392
  • 16990223_264600650642977_241702060_o.jpg
    16990223_264600650642977_241702060_o.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 441
  • Solution.PNG
    Solution.PNG
    75.1 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
Direct answer to your question: With V = IR and R 'infinite' you get I = 0

[edit] a bit more:
AXRY said:
I also included arrows for the RH loop
In itself that isn't wrong at all. It's just that the value of the current comes out zero.

AXRY said:
If yes does this always apply
Still more: from the wording 'ideal voltmeter' you can guess that the answer is no. But it's almost true for nowadays digital meters. Old analog meters had a coil in a magnet and needed a little current (e.g. 50 ##\mu##A full scale) which gave them a finite internal resistance (20 k##\Omega##/V in the example) that you had to take into account seriously.

Would I normally show the path of the current in a loop with an ideal voltmeter even though I=0, I just feel like the current would still travel down that path. The solution specifying that there shouldn't be any arrows at all seems odd to me...

Consequence of the fact that the voltmeter must be considered ideal. Solution has an arrow and 0.5 A at left, nothing at right. An arrow and 0 A at the right to me would be a correct answer.

1. Why does the current take a specific path?

The path of an electric current is determined by the flow of electrons through a conducting material. The direction of this flow is influenced by various factors, including the electric field, the resistance of the material, and the voltage source.

2. How does the resistance of a material affect the path of the current?

The resistance of a material is a measure of how much it impedes the flow of electrons. A higher resistance means that the electrons have a harder time passing through the material, causing the current to take a longer path. This is known as the "path of least resistance."

3. What role does voltage play in determining the path of the current?

Voltage is the driving force behind the movement of electrons in a circuit. The direction of the voltage source determines the direction of the current flow. Additionally, the magnitude of the voltage affects the strength of the current, which can also impact its path.

4. Can the path of the current be changed?

Yes, the path of the current can be changed by altering the conditions that influence its flow. For example, by changing the direction of the voltage source or adjusting the resistance of the material, the path of the current can be altered.

5. Why is understanding the path of the current important?

Understanding the path of the current is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits. By knowing how the current flows, scientists and engineers can ensure that the circuit functions properly and identify any potential issues that may arise.