Why does the Limit Comparison Test fail?

In summary: Nor does it say anything about the convergence or divergence of the original series. What it says is that the terms of the original series lie between those of two other series, one of which is known to be convergent and the other of which is known to be divergent. That could be useful information if you were trying to squeeze the original series between two known convergent series, but that's not what the OP was doing.I don't know what you are hoping to get out of this. I have been trying to point out that the comparison of the two series tells you nothing. You have been arguing with me. I am done with this.
vanceEE

Homework Statement

$$\sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ \frac{1}{n√(n)} $$

Since $$ \frac{1}{n√(n)} \equiv \frac{1}{x^{3/2}} $$ this is a convergent p-series. But, when I attempt to prove this by the limit comparison test with known convergent series such as $$\sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ \frac{1}{n^2}$$
ex. $$\lim_{n \to ∞} \frac{\frac{1}{n√(n)}}{\frac{1}{n^2}} = ∞ $$
The limit comparison test does not prove this fact. But I get a real number N when comparing the known divergent series $$\sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ \frac{1}{n}$$ with $$\sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ \frac{1}{n√(n)} $$
ex. $$\lim_{n \to ∞} \frac{\frac{1}{n√(n)}}{\frac{1}{n}} = 0 $$ Can someone please explain the reasoning behind this?

Physics news on Phys.org
vanceEE said:

Homework Statement

$$\sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ \frac{1}{n√(n)} $$

Since $$ \frac{1}{n√(n)} \equiv \frac{1}{x^{3/2}} $$ this is a convergent p-series. But, when I attempt to prove this by the limit comparison test with known convergent series such as $$\sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ \frac{1}{n^2}$$
ex. $$\lim_{n \to ∞} \frac{\frac{1}{n√(n)}}{\frac{1}{n^2}} = ∞ $$
The limit comparison test does not prove this fact. But I get a real number N when comparing the known divergent series $$\sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ \frac{1}{n}$$ with $$\sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ \frac{1}{n√(n)} $$
ex. $$\lim_{n \to ∞} \frac{\frac{1}{n√(n)}}{\frac{1}{n}} = 0 $$ Can someone please explain the reasoning behind this?

What is the statement of the limit comparison test? Does it tell you anything useful in those two cases? Limit tests aren't guaranteed to to work. That's why there are so many of them. Sometimes the conclusion you draw is "inconclusive". Then you try another test. Like the p-series test.

Last edited:
Dick said:
What is the statement of the limit comparison test? Does it tell you anything useful in those two cases?

Well, from these two comparisons, I see that $$ \frac{1}{n}\leq\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}<\frac{1}{n^2} $$ (which can easily be deduced from the start), but this means that it does me something a bit useful right? It shows that the series is in fact convergent by the direct comparison test.. Thanks man!

vanceEE said:
Well, from these two comparisons, I see that $$ \frac{1}{n}\leq\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}<\frac{1}{n^2} $$ (which can easily be deduced from the start), but this means that it does me something a bit useful right? It shows that the series is in fact convergent by the direct comparison test.. Thanks man!

That's not true at all. What I believe it is telling you is the in the limit ##\frac{1}{n}\gt\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}\gt\frac{1}{n^2}##. I don't think that's in any way useful.

Last edited:
vanceEE said:
That comparison tells you that the series might be divergent, but then again that it might be convergent.

In short, it tells you nothing useful.

D H said:
That comparison tells you that the series might be divergent, but then again that it might be convergent.

In short, it tells you nothing useful.

Um, the comparison you quoted is wrong. The inequality signs are in the wrong direction.

Missed that detail.

vanceEE, even after correcting your notation, (it should be ##1/n > 1/n^{3/2} > 1/n^2## for all n>1), this tells you nothing.

That ##1/n>1/n^{3/2}## tells you nothing. If it was the other way around, ##1/n< a_n##, you would know you have a divergent series on hand. Similarly, that ##1/n^{3/2}>1/n^2## also tells you nothing. Once again, if it was the other way around, ##1/n^2 > a_n##, you would know that the series on hand is convergent.

That the terms lie between those of a series known to be divergent and those of a series known to be convergent? There's no useful information here.

D H said:
Missed that detail.

vanceEE, even after correcting your notation, (it should be ##1/n > 1/n^{3/2} > 1/n^2## for all n>1), this tells you nothing.

That ##1/n>1/n^{3/2}## tells you nothing. If it was the other way around, ##1/n< a_n##, you would know you have a divergent series on hand. Similarly, that ##1/n^{3/2}>1/n^2## also tells you nothing. Once again, if it was the other way around, ##1/n^2 > a_n##, you would know that the series on hand is convergent.

That the terms lie between those of a series known to be divergent and those of a series known to be convergent? There's no useful information here.

Detail? The OP had already drawn wrong conclusions based on it, and I corrected the direction. Don't you read previous posts?

To elaborate on what D H said, suppose you are investigating the behavior of a given series. Also suppose that you have one series that is known to be convergent and another that is known to be divergent. There are four possibilities.

1. Your series is term-by-term larger than the known convergent series.
2. Your series is term-by-term smaller than the known convergent series.
3. Your series is term-by-term larger than the known divergent series.
4. Your series is term-by-term smaller than the known divergent series.

Items 1 and 4 in the list above are no help. Only items 2 and 3 offer some help. #2 guarantees that your series converges (it is smaller than a convergent series). #3 guarantees that your series diverges (it is larger than a divergent series).

Dick said:
Detail? The OP had already drawn wrong conclusions based on it, and I corrected the direction. Don't you read previous posts?
How do you know the OP has drawn wrong conclusions from that typo? Perhaps it was just that, a typo. That's how I read it. In fact, I oftentimes don't see typos. My brain auto-corrects mathematics. I have to read character-by-character to see the math typos. I read the the OP's erroneous ##1/n \le 1/n^{3/2} < 1/n^2## as ##1/n > 1/n^{3/2} > 1/n^2##. (Aside: When I write professionally I make sure that I have a good reviewer on hand to read my writing because I can't see my own typos. My brain reads what I meant to type rather than what I actually did type.)

Even after correcting for that typo, the OP was still wrong. That ##1/n > 1/n^{3/2} > 1/n^2## for all n>1 says nothing about the convergence or divergence of the series ##\sum 1/n^{3/2}##.

D H said:
How do you know the OP has drawn wrong conclusions from that typo?
Because the OP concluded the series converged when you can't conclude anything from those comparisons.

vela said:
Because the OP concluded the series converged when you can't conclude anything from those comparisons.

I can conclude that, in fact, D H doesn't read previous posts.

1. Why is the Limit Comparison Test used?

The Limit Comparison Test is used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to another known series.

2. How does the Limit Comparison Test work?

The Limit Comparison Test compares the ratio of the terms of the given series to the terms of a known convergent series. If the ratio approaches a finite non-zero number, then the given series will have the same convergence behavior as the known series.

3. When does the Limit Comparison Test fail?

The Limit Comparison Test may fail when the ratio of the terms approaches either zero or infinity. In this case, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

4. What are some common reasons for the Limit Comparison Test to fail?

One common reason for the Limit Comparison Test to fail is when the given series and the known series have significantly different terms, making it difficult to find a suitable comparison. Another reason could be when the terms of the given series do not follow a consistent pattern, making it difficult to determine the limit of the ratio.

5. Are there any alternatives to the Limit Comparison Test?

Yes, there are other convergence tests such as the Comparison Test, the Ratio Test, and the Integral Test that can be used when the Limit Comparison Test fails. These tests may require different conditions or assumptions, so it is important to understand the limitations of each test and choose the most appropriate one for the given series.