Why does the moment only act at region B and C, not from A to C?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 5K views
Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread
- 798
- 1
SteamKing said:I don't know what you mean by "restricted about A, but not at C".
The beam is fixed at C, so a reactive moment is supported there. The beam is free at A.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/moment-diagram.878559/#post-5520349
I am sorry for the previous post...
I mean why in this thread, the moment of the beam is not restricted about B , but is restricted about A ?
I
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 12,828
- 1,673
I still don't know what you mean by the moment being "restricted" about A. There is no moment about A.chetzread said:https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/moment-diagram.878559/#post-5520349
I am sorry for the previous post...
I mean why in this thread, the moment of the beam is not restricted about B , but is restricted about A ?
I
chetzread
- 798
- 1
As you can see, the moment 400Nm graph is drawn from A to the point where moment 400Nm act, so there's moment restriction about point A, right? Why there's no moment restriction about point B?SteamKing said:I still don't know what you mean by the moment being "restricted" about A. There is no moment about A.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/moment-diagram.878559/#post-5520349
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 12,828
- 1,673
There is no moment applied at point A, so there won't be one showing up on any moment diagram.chetzread said:As you can see, the moment 400Nm graph is drawn from A to the point where moment 400Nm act, so there's moment restriction about point A, right? Why there's no moment restriction about point B?
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/moment-diagram.878559/#post-5520349
There is a moment applied at point B, which is why the moment diagram starts there.
chetzread
- 798
- 1
Sorry, I think u misunderstood me... I refer to the thread below...SteamKing said:There is no moment applied at point A, so there won't be one showing up on any moment diagram.
There is a moment applied at point B, which is why the moment diagram starts there.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/moment-diagram.878559/#post-5520349
why the moment of the beam is not restricted about B , but is restricted about A ?
chetzread
- 798
- 1
SteamKing said:If you look at the moment plot at C, it clearly indicates that the reactive moment there is -400 N-m, which, when added to the moment at B of +400 N-m, equals zero net moment.
Do you mean that since the moment at B is positive 400Nm, so the moment -400Nm must be restricted at any points along beam BC to keep it in equilibrium?
Your interpretation of what the plot would look like would require a net change in moment of -800 N-m, which is not supported by the loading of the beam.
chetzread
- 798
- 1
sorry , can you help me in the following threadSteamKing said:There is no moment applied at point A, so there won't be one showing up on any moment diagram.
There is a moment applied at point B, which is why the moment diagram starts there.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/moment-diagram.878559/#post-5520349
?? Thanks in advance!
chetzread
- 798
- 1
it it because of the reaction moment and moment causes the part of beam to become concave downwards, so bending moment is negative?SteamKing said:It's not clear what you mean here.
The moment diagram doesn't plot discrete values of BM in isolation, like you apparently want to do.
At point B, the moment goes from 0 to +400 N-m, which is why there is a jump at this location.
The moment remains constant at +400 N-m from point B to point C, where the reactive moment of -400 N-m is added to the +400 N-m, to bring the net moment back to zero.
You should review how shear force and bending moment values are plotted for regular beam problems.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- 1question
- · Replies 4 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 4
- tj1989
- · Replies 1 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 1
- foo9008
- · Replies 7 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 7
- ehrenfest
- · Replies 3 ·
- Calculus and Beyond Homework Help
- Replies
- 3