1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment diagram

1. Jul 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    for the moment diagram, why the 400Nm straight line is drawn from the point of moment to a only?
    cnkrDOP.png
    OHYU4Dr.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is it wrong? I think it should be drawn throughout the entire length of beam? since moment can act at anywhere on the beam...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2016 #2
    or the moment 400Nm will only causes the region from A to 2m away from A to break ? So , in the moment area diagram , it's drawn from A and 2m away from A ?

4. Jul 14, 2016 #3
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/direction-of-moment.878803/#post-5520313

In the previous thread , i was told that to keep the beam in equilibrium, the moment has to be applied at the another end (wall)in opposite direction
    But, in this question, i have 2 ends, namely A and B, but both point doesnt restrict moment, am i right?
    In the previous therad, it's wall, so it can restrict moment...But , how about this case?@SteamKing

5. Jul 15, 2016 #4
    deleted

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted