1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does the point experience NEGATIVE field strength?

1. May 28, 2016 #1
    Hi, i'm looking for an explanation to this answer of a past paper that i'm doing, it's from OCR (A level) G485, question 1 b ii)

the question on top, and answer on bottom

upload_2016-5-28_22-46-32.png

i don't understand why would the point experience a negative electric field strength when it's getting closer to a positive source or vice versa (positive field strength) , this is the first question of the paper, and not much other relevant information is presented..... what am i not understanding?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/243747-question-paper-unit-g485-01-fields-particles-and-frontiers-of-physics.pdf [Broken]

thankyou

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is an important part of the question.

The sign gives the direction. If you are close to one of the charges, the influence of this charge dominates, but to the left of X you are on the right side of the charge A, to the right of X you are on the left side of charge B. The direction towards the charge is different, and a different direction means a different sign.

4. May 28, 2016 #3
    i didn't notice! thanks

i even drew out the diagrams and i still didn't caught that, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted