• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Chemistry Why does this equation not give me the ionization energy of lithium?

Homework Statement
i want to find the first ionization energy for lithium using Bohr formula but something seems wrong !
Homework Equations
Bohr energy equation
i am trying to calculate the first ionization energy for lithium with this equation but it seems to work only with hydrogen ?
i put nf = infinity and ni =2 ,and z = 3 for lithium and it gives about 30 ev not 5.39172 ev which is the value for lithium :

fgdf.png

i will appreciate any help in this

Borek

Mentor
There are some limitations to the Bohr model, do you know them?

There are some limitations to the Bohr model, do you know them?
i know that it failed to describe the experimental results for multi electron atoms :smile: ,
so what equation is being used for finding the ionization energy ?
because every where i look online it seems that people uses that equation ?!

mjc123

Science Advisor
Look up "Rydberg atom". Your equation is for a hydrogen-like ion, with 1 electron, i.e. Li2+.

Look up "Rydberg atom". Your equation is for a hydrogen-like ion, with 1 electron, i.e. Li2+.
thanks i got it now , so i am assuming that there is no equation that could calculate the first ionization energy of a specific element except hydrogen ?!
or even approximately at least ?

mjc123

Science Advisor
Not really, without computer number-crunching. Practically, I think it would work the other way round - measure the ionisation energy, calculate the quantum defect, compare periodic trends and see what that tells you about the orbitals.