1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating second ionization energy of He

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The equation En=-Z2RH/n2 gives the energy (according to the Bohr model) of the energy levels available to an electron in any hydrogen-like atom. Calculate the second ionization energy of He(in J). The second ionization energy of He is the ionization energy of He+.

2. Relevant equations

En=-Z2RH/n2 where RH=2.178x10-18J

Z=2
    n=?

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't understand which value I am supposed to use for n. When I look up the second ionization energy of He I find that the answer is 54.4 eV or 8.712x10-18J, which is the answer I get when I input n=1 into the above equation. But it's asking for the second ionization energy of He, so why would I use n=1?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

n=1 is the orbit number of He. He has configuration of 1s2, meaning that both 2 electrons are in 1st orbit. 2nd Ionization energy refers to removal of 2nd electron, or removal of only electron of He+ ion, in this case.

Z refers to the atomic number of the species. For He, Z = 2.

4. Jul 18, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted