Why does this kinematics problem seem impossible.HELP

In summary, the problem seems impossible because the downwards force exerted by the man's feet during the phase A to B is not constant.
charmedbeauty
why does this kinematics problem seem impossible.HELP!

Homework Statement

If the man's mass is 70 kg, if L is 0.4 m h is 0.6 m, what is the downwards force (assumed constant) exerted by his feet during the phase A to B? State any physical law or principle you use in obtaining your answer.

vi) For a man whose parameters are given in part (v), would it be possible to jump over a barrier 0.8 m high starting the jump as shown from A to B? Explain your answer.

heres a link to the problem http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/firstyear/pdf%20files/1131T12008.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really struggling with part vi)

the answer for part v) is 1715N

now i know the highest point reached is when vf=0

but I am having a hard time figuring out the time for this.

All I know is that 1716=ma

so a = 24.5 m/s

and I need to see if this acceleration is large enough for a man of mass 70kg can reach a height h=0.8

are there to many unknowns in this problem or is it just me ??

I have tried so many different ways but I keep getting stuck. please help!

also part vii)During which (if any) phases of the jump described in part (vi) is the momentum of the man conserved? Explain your answer briefly.

would it be none; since gravity is always acting on the system.??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

charmedbeauty said:

Homework Statement

If the man's mass is 70 kg, if L is 0.4 m h is 0.6 m, what is the downwards force (assumed constant) exerted by his feet during the phase A to B? State any physical law or principle you use in obtaining your answer.

vi) For a man whose parameters are given in part (v), would it be possible to jump over a barrier 0.8 m high starting the jump as shown from A to B? Explain your answer.

heres a link to the problem http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/firstyear/pdf%20files/1131T12008.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really struggling with part vi)

the answer for part v) is 1715N

now i know the highest point reached is when vf=0

but I am having a hard time figuring out the time for this.

All I know is that 1716=ma

so a = 24.5 m/s

and I need to see if this acceleration is large enough for a man of mass 70kg can reach a height h=0.8

are there to many unknowns in this problem or is it just me ??

I have tried so many different ways but I keep getting stuck. please help!

also part vii)During which (if any) phases of the jump described in part (vi) is the momentum of the man conserved? Explain your answer briefly.

would it be none; since gravity is always acting on the system.??
What are your answers to parts ii & iii, including how you arrived at them?

How did you arrive at your answer to part iv ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ditto SammyS' post.

SammyS said:

ohhh now I see I can use this for vo...

by the way for vicm I did

Ui+Ki=Ui+Ki

and solved for vcm=√(2gh)

Thanks so much I never thought to look at my previous answers and had been stuck for ages. Thanks.

SammyS said:

Does this seem right now...

vf=[itex]\sqrt{2gh}+24.5t[/itex]
vf=0

t=[itex] \sqrt{2gh}/24.5[/itex]

t=0.14

xy= [itex]\sqrt{2gh}(0.14)+\frac{1}{2}(24.5)(0.14)^{2}[/itex]

xy= 0.72

Therefore no -----> 0.72<0.80

Does this seem right?

Last edited:

The acceleration you have for part iii is wrong.

The force looks right, but that's not the net force exerted upon the CoM .

SammyS said:
The acceleration you have for part iii is wrong.

The force looks right, but that's not the net force exerted upon the CoM .

ok I have to subtract the acceleration due to gravity so the right acceleration should be 14.7m/s2??

1. Why is this kinematics problem so difficult to solve?

Kinematics problems can be challenging because they involve multiple variables and equations that need to be solved simultaneously. This requires a strong understanding of the concepts and equations involved, as well as the ability to manipulate and solve equations algebraically.

2. What strategies can I use to approach a seemingly impossible kinematics problem?

First, make sure you understand all the given information and what the problem is asking for. Then, try to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Use equations and known variables to solve for unknown quantities one step at a time. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the problem.

3. Why do I keep getting stuck on the same kinematics problem?

If you find yourself repeatedly struggling with the same type of kinematics problem, it may be helpful to review the underlying concepts and equations. Practice using these equations with different scenarios and variables to gain a better understanding of how they work.

4. Is there a specific approach I should take when solving kinematics problems?

It's important to understand the concept of motion and the equations that govern it. Start by identifying what type of motion is involved (constant velocity, acceleration, etc.) and then use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown quantities.

5. What resources can I use to help me solve difficult kinematics problems?

There are many online resources, textbooks, and study guides available that offer practice problems and step-by-step solutions for kinematics problems. It can also be helpful to work with a tutor or study group to gain a better understanding of the concepts and techniques used to solve these types of problems.