Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does water flow faster through a hose if its choked?

Tags:
  1. Nov 12, 2014 #1
    A thought came to me while pouring antifreeze into my car today. As I pour in the anti-freeze it fills to the brim and takes awhile to flow through the cooling-system. However, if I choke the hose a few times it for some reason swallows the antifreeze faster. Is this similar to the bottle-neck effect? allowing a shorter number of x to flow through y?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Choking can mitigate the back-pressure and agitate the fluid (does tapping the tube also work?) but it may just be subjective because you are doing something instead of waiting. Did you try measuring the flow rate (including the time to choke the tube a few times) for each case?

4. Nov 12, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the rely!
    I've done this numerous times and it always takes awhile for the antifreeze to flow. Tapping does not allow it to flow as easily, although slightly. Choking it to the point where end A and end B are separated seems to work the best. The more the gap between end A and end B, or the midpoint between the hose the radiator and cooling system are closed the more easily the flow afterwards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook