1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why don't AI systems have good voices?

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    Why don't AI systems have "good" voices?

Is it difficult to engineer an AI system that actually sounds like a human (in terms of speaking)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: Why don't AI systems have "good" voices?

I'm not sure what AI and voice synthesizers have to do with each other, but I can tell you that recognizing and creating human speech, different though they are, are both VERY difficult.

It's one of many areas where human's abilities at pattern recognition is WAY ahead of anything computers are currently able to do.

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Human speech is "inflected" with changes of pitch, amplitude, and speed (relative length of vowels, etc) depending on the MEANING of what is being said.

For example
    "JOHN ran down these stairs" (i.e John ran down, but somebody else did not).
    "John RAN down these stairs" (i.e he didn't walk).
    "John ran DOWN these stairs" (i.e. he didn't run up them).
    "John ran down THESE stairs" (i.e. not some other stairs)
    "John ran down these STAIRS" (i.e. not down the street).

Once you can get a computer to understand meaning the same way that a human does, speech generation should be pretty simple IMO. :smile:

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4

well try this link click here
    hope it will help you..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook