Why don't strings have a huge Planck mass?

In summary, strings, which are one-dimensional objects in string theory, do not have a huge Planck mass because they are considered to be fundamental particles with no internal structure. Their mass is determined by their length, tension, and the speed of light, rather than a physical mass like other particles. This is due to the nature of string theory, which views particles as vibrating strings rather than point particles. The Planck mass, on the other hand, is a theoretical limit for the smallest possible mass in our universe and is associated with quantum gravity. Since strings are already at this fundamental level, they do not have a larger Planck mass.
johne1618
If a string has a Planck length then why doesn't it have a huge Planck mass?

Perhaps it does but its negative gravitational self-energy counteracts this huge positive mass/energy.

Maybe a closed string can be thought of as a Planck energy electromagnetic wave trapped by its own gravitational field so that it is forced to orbit itself in a Planck scale loop. The positive rotational energy of the wave would be exactly balanced by the negative gravitational field so that the total rest mass/energy of the object would be zero. Maybe this would be a model of a graviton.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The zeroth oscillations of string are (nearly) massless. All other vibrational modes have higher masses and should be comparable to Planck mass.

But, as I understand it, any string is under a huge tension of c^4/G. If it is a Planck length long then Energy=Tension*Distance implies that it has a Planck mass just from its tension alone regardless of how it is oscillating.

I think this tensional energy is in fact negative and purely classical gravitational in origin rather than quantum as can be seen from the fact that the expression for the tension involves G but not hbar. It is the quantum uncertainty in the string's momentum which provides the positive energy which balances this negative gravitational energy.

Last edited:
In the quantization of the bosonic string several consistency conditions emerge lead to a state space similar to the harmonic oscillator. After normal ordering of the Hamiltonian the "1/2" of the ground state energy disappears from the spectrum, so the lowest energy level is something like "string tension times zero" which is of course zero.

See e.g. http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/9411/9411028v1.pdf

Thanks. I'll have a look at the Polchinski workshop paper but it looks too advanced for me to follow.

So you are saying that the lowest *oscillatory* energy level is zero.

Fair enough.

But I still think there is a story to be told about the balance between the positive energy in the string due to its uncertainty in momentum and the negative energy contained in its tension.

Last edited:
johne1618 said:
Why choose "normal ordering" of the creation and annihilation operators rather than any other scheme of ordering?

I wish I could get more of a handle on this stuff but it is too technical for me!

Normal ordering is used in quantum field theory to have an empty vacuum state. An annihilation operator should annihilate the vacuum - that's the very reason for the name. The commutator generates the "1/2". This is typically dropped to have a vacuum with zero energy. There is no rigorous proof, it's just a physical argument to set the vacuum energy scale to zero.

Sorry I've just edited the thread under you.

I accept that the lowest *oscillatory* energy level is zero.

But as I said above:

I still think there is a story to be told about the balance between the positive energy in the string due to its uncertainty in momentum and the negative energy contained in its tension.

I am also looking for such a story... What are the contribution of tensional energy (streching the string) and vibrational energy. What is the zero energy in 26 dimensions of the first excited state? Is it simply zero? Than what about the tensional energy, is it not present? Or, in other words, take the masless particule in 26 dimensions, how comes the the total energy (vibrational and tensional) of the first excited state is zero? I expected only the virbational energy to be zero, I did not expect the tensional energy... Any help here?

1. Why is the Planck mass considered the upper limit for string mass?

The Planck mass is the maximum mass that can be supported by the Planck length, which is the smallest possible length in the universe. This is because at this scale, the effects of quantum gravity become significant and our current understanding of physics breaks down.

2. How does the Planck mass relate to string theory?

In string theory, the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not point-like particles, but rather tiny, vibrating strings. The energy of a string is related to its mass, and the maximum energy a string can have is equivalent to the Planck mass.

3. Can strings have a mass greater than the Planck mass?

No, strings cannot have a mass greater than the Planck mass. This is a fundamental limit set by the laws of physics and cannot be exceeded.

4. Are there any other particles or objects that have a mass close to the Planck mass?

There are no known particles or objects that have a mass close to the Planck mass. The closest is the Higgs boson, which has a mass of approximately 125 GeV, or about 2.2 x 10^-25 times the Planck mass.

5. How does the Planck mass affect the size and behavior of strings?

The Planck mass has a significant impact on the size and behavior of strings. As the maximum energy a string can have is equivalent to the Planck mass, this sets a limit on the size of strings and their ability to interact with other particles and forces in the universe.