Why don't we run out of gravitational force?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
fredreload
Messages
250
Reaction score
6
We know gravitational force is created from the curvature in space time by the mass of the planet, but why doesn't it run out?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would it run out? Can you think of any reason a curvature would "run out"? If you have so please share, however if you do not then I can only advise you to revise some GR.
 
To bounce of off what Nosebgr said, gravity is the result of the curvature of spacetime, not some finite quantity that is used up over time. Since mass and energy curve spacetime, and both mass and energy are conserved, then it follows that gravity cannot be 'used up'.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Nosebgr
fredreload said:
... by the mass of the planet, but why doesn't it run out?
Because we aren't consuming the mass of the planet.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CWatters and billy_joule
A.T. said:
Because we aren't consuming the mass of the planet.
I don't know about you, but I'm about to consume the mass of about a thousand christmas cookies...
 
Drakkith said:
I don't know about you, but I'm about to consume the mass of about a thousand christmas cookies...
As long as you don't leave the planet, it is fine.
If you go to Mars, we'll have to charge mass export fees.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith