Why has PF stopped with the ancient traditions?

• Thread starter Giant
  • Start date
In summary, the forum no longer does the ritual where new members are asked about their favorite fish. This ritual is no longer done because Monty Python issued a cease and desist order.
Giant
I was scanning the new members forum. I scrolled back till November start. I noticed something odd. Back when I joined, old members used to ask the new members about their favourite fish,, and a certain ritual was done after that. Why don't we do it any more? It was so fun!

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you be more specific about the ritual involved?

Giant said:
Why don't we do it any more?

Because Monty Python issued us a cease and desist order. Those guys have no sense of humor...

Likes Thewindyfan, davenn, Silicon Waffle and 1 other person
DiracPool said:
Because Monty Python issued us a cease and desist order. Those guys have no sense of humor...
Was the new member allowed to slap back?

Giant said:
I was scanning the new members forum. I scrolled back till November start. I noticed something odd. Back when I joined, old members used to ask the new members about their favourite fish,, and a certain ritual was done after that. Why don't we do it any more? It was so fun!
Probably because the more I ask for it, the less results I sure get later. This matches with my personality. :nb)

Frankly, in my humble personal opinion, the 'New member introductions' subforum should be renamed to: 'What's your favourite fish?'.

DiracPool said:
Because Monty Python issued us a cease and desist order.
"If you chaps don't cease and desist, you'll become ex-parrots."

jtbell said:
"If you chaps don't cease and desist, you'll become ex-parrots."
I think you should give them a slap. :olduhh:

No more fish face-slapping!??11/1$&&$^& I'm SHOCKED! Truly...

Likes Evo and lisab
That's just sad.
Tsu said:
NoPe. I was shocked too. Although I got slapped with Megalodon . :cry:. It's bad to see new new members don't go through with that torture.

I remember when i first joined i was slapped by an octopus, i have been pulling the odd testicle out of my hair ever since.

Tsu said:
TSU! Nice to see you!

wolram said:
I remember when i first joined i was slapped by an octopus, i have been pulling the odd testicle out of my hair ever since.
Might you mean "tentacle"?!

Likes Sophia and Silicon Waffle
wolram said:
o_O :DD

Giant said:
soooo... what's your favorite fish? :biggrin:

I might be in the minority, but I thought the fish-slapping bit was sort of lame...

Likes dlgoff
Greg Bernhardt said:
soooo... what's your favorite fish? :biggrin:
Paedocypris progenetica >_>
8mm long. Works out nice.

I like the trout :) And those small black ones that eat dirt in aquariums are useful :rolleyes:

lisab said:
Might you mean "tentacle"?!
I kinda LIKED the way Wolly said it...:biggrin:

Likes Silicon Waffle
Tsu said:
TSU! I was thinking about you just this morning! Happy New year!

@Sophia
Nice video. Got the tune stuck in my head now.

Likes Sophia
Mark44 said:
I might be in the minority, but I thought the fish-slapping bit was sort of lame...

That's precisely why it's so fun and cool, because it's lame o0). It's "safe hazing" for PF. The alternative is that Greg and DaleSpam drive you out to a remote part of the woods in the middle of winter and drop you off blindfolded with only your underwear on, and then tell you you can't have a beer until you find your way back to the Frat house. Would you like that instead as an initiation rite?!

Likes Sophia
DiracPool said:
That's precisely why it's so fun and cool, because it's lame o0).
I guess "fun" and "cool" aren't synonyms for "lame." Quite the opposite, in fact.

Tsu said:
I kinda LIKED the way Wolly said it...:biggrin:
Hi Evo. :smile: Happy New Year to you too!

OK. I just replied to myself! o0) I'm not used to this new format... plus I'm older than Evo, so...:wink:

DiracPool said:
That's precisely why it's so fun and cool, because it's lame o0). It's "safe hazing" for PF. The alternative is that Greg and DaleSpam drive you out to a remote part of the woods in the middle of winter and drop you off blindfolded with only your underwear on, and then tell you you can't have a beer until you find your way back to the Frat house. Would you like that instead as an initiation rite?!
Plus you have to find and bring an elk in a Packer hoodie to the Frat house. That was added last year...

Likes DiracPool
Tsu said:
OK. I just replied to myself! o0) I'm not used to this new format... plus I'm older than Evo, so...:wink:
She will have to call you sis :DD and to respect your favorite fish.

Tsu said:
Happy New Year to you too!
Happy New Year to you, too. Waiting a few seconds to intentionally miss the mark for your time zone ... Posting NOW! Happy New Year!

Giant said:
Nice video. Got the tune stuck in my head now.

Is it really possible to get a German song stuck in your head? I thought it was only the American and British songs that did that...

DiracPool said:
Is it really possible to get a German song stuck in your head? I thought it was only the American and British songs that did that...
Oh yea it happens. I like listening to all languages songs. I try to concentrate on music alone,, no lyrics. Although translation is always good. So German, French, Japanese, they're all good. This song, for example, won't sound nearly as good if it was translated in English. So... Me likes..

Last edited:
Giant said:
Oh yea it happens. I like listening to all languages songs. I try to concentrate on music alone,, no lyrics. Although translation is always good. So German, French, Japanese, they're all good. This song, for example, won't sound nearly as good if it was translated in English. So... Me likes..
Of course it is possible to like German songs. Especially the old ones that are fast paced and melodic. I don't speak German, but we are culturally close so my generation grew up on translations of German, Italian and Croatian songs also called Schlagers lol

Sophia said:
my generation grew up on translations of German, Italian and Croatian songs also called Schlagers lol

I'm actually feeling a little "Schlagered" myself right now from a medicinal vodka tonic I drank to offset the aftermath of last night's festivities :wink:

DiracPool said:
Is it really possible to get a German song stuck in your head?
"Horch, was kommt von draußen rein..." Argh! That one was implanted in me 43 years ago when I was in Germany for a semester...

jtbell said:
"Horch, was kommt von draußen rein..." Argh! That one was implanted in me 43 years ago when I was in Germany for a semester...

Actually, now that you mention it, this song got stuck in my head back in the 80's:

Likes Sophia
DiracPool said:
Actually, now that you mention it, this song got stuck in my head back in the 80's:

I actually listened to rammstein a lot in high school. One of my favourite non english bands. Ooh nostalgia. I'm going to dig them up on YouTube and listen again today.

1. Why have ancient traditions in PF stopped being practiced?

There are a few possible reasons for this. One is that as society and technology advance, some traditions may no longer be relevant or useful. Another reason could be that as cultures and belief systems evolve, new practices and rituals may replace older ones. Additionally, some traditions may have been lost or forgotten over time.

2. Are ancient traditions in PF still important?

This is a subjective question and may depend on individual beliefs and practices. Some people may feel that ancient traditions hold valuable wisdom and should be preserved, while others may believe that new traditions can be just as meaningful. Ultimately, the importance of ancient traditions in PF may vary from person to person.

3. How can we ensure that ancient traditions in PF are not lost?

One way to prevent the loss of ancient traditions is to actively engage in learning and practicing them. This could involve researching and studying different traditions, participating in cultural events and rituals, and passing down knowledge to future generations. It is also important to respect and honor the traditions of different cultures and not let them be forgotten or overshadowed by modern practices.

4. What role do ancient traditions play in modern PF practices?

Ancient traditions can serve as a foundation for modern PF practices, providing a connection to the past and a sense of continuity. They can also offer valuable insights and teachings that can enhance one's spiritual journey. However, it is important to not view ancient traditions as static or unchanging, as they may continue to evolve and adapt over time.

5. How can we reconcile ancient traditions with modern beliefs?

This can be a complex and personal process, as individuals may have different interpretations and understandings of both ancient traditions and modern beliefs. Some may choose to integrate elements of both into their practices, while others may focus on one or the other. Ultimately, it is up to each individual to find a balance that feels authentic and meaningful to them.