Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why hot water freezes faster than cold water?

1. May 9, 2015 #1
    Interesting new study out

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...hot-water-freezes-faster-than-cold-water.html

Here is the paper
    http://www.nature.com/srep/2013/131021/srep03005/full/srep03005.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Just to be clear: while the wording of the news article makes it sound like this always occurs, in fact it almost always does not. Special/unusual experimental setups may sometimes enable it to occur.

See the similar discussions links for past discussions including a semi-scientific test I ran once to see if the phenomena would occur (it did not).

4. May 9, 2015 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is too much ice cream in the freezer compartment for me to try it straight away, but I was going to put a cup of boiling water and a cup of water at room temperature in there to see which one froze first. I guess, from what you're saying, the cup at room temperature would freeze first, as one would expect?

5. May 9, 2015 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes. In one of the links below (if you can't find it I'll look later), is details of a test where I put 3 or 4 coffee cups with equal amounts of water at various temperatures into a freezer, with a temperature logger probe in each. The profiles were nearly exactly as expected.

6. May 9, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, if there is too much ice cream in the freezer, you will just have to sacrifice yourself, like a true scientist, and eat all that ice cream to empty the freezer!

7. May 9, 2015 #6
    We'll help.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook