Why is glass rod used in decanting?

• Thread starter Govind_Balaji
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass Rod
In summary, my teacher told me to use a glass rod to avoid spills when pouring a highly corrosive chemical, because plastic and metal can react and glass is smooth and easily cleansed.
Govind_Balaji
I always see in many books and articles. Glass rod is used for decantation. Why should we not pour the liquid just directly. I asked my chemistry teacher. She told me to experiment myself by decanting two identical heterogenous mixtures, one using a rod and other without one.

Please tell me any significance of glass rod other than to avoid any spills?

Physics news on Phys.org
If done properly, the liquid being poured will adhere to the glass rod and flow along it into the receiving container, eliminating spillage and spatter. For most liquids, it's not a problem if a little spatter is encountered, but if you are pouring a highly corrosive chemical, like concentrated sulfuric acid, a little spatter could be very dangerous. That's the way I've looked at it.

And I don't think there is more to it.

Thank you everybody now I guess why my teacher told me to experiment myself. Because I asked her whether it is to avoid spillage She gave no reply and asked me to experiment my-self.

Well, use a liquid which is not dangerous if you happen to get some on yourself or others.

I experimented it for decanting a mixture of ##H_2O## and ##CaCO_3##. It just helped me pour the liquid uniformly and slowly without spilling.

AS well s the safety aspect, there is a matter of accuracy when you need to measure the quantities involved. (i.e. Splashes will lose some of the reactants.

Plastic gets worn and metals may react. Glass is smooth so retains (wastes) little of the chemicals, is easily cleaned, is durable, is brittle so will not bend and is very obvious when it's no good anymore.

And then there is that splish splash song from the 50's that I just planted in your brain for next three hours. You don't want to suddenly have to take a bath. In front of everyone in the Lab. You will be hearing about it the rest of your life. Or until you win some prestigious award.

Frosted Flake said:
And then there is that splish splash song from the 50's that I just planted in your brain for next three hours. You don't want to suddenly have to take a bath. In front of everyone in the Lab. You will be hearing about it the rest of your life. Or until you win some prestigious award.
1. lol i ain't in us or any other countries where hollywood is famous.
2. I born at 2000 only and not alive in the 50s.
3. I experimented it in my house rather than a lab. I am not sure the school will allow a 9th grader to perform experiments on his wish in its lab.

BTw thanks for creating a humour

I got out of the bath, put my feet on the floor,
put my towel around me and walked out of the door . . . . .
Splish splash, I jumped back into the bath
'cos how was I to know there was a chemical experiment going on?
et. etc.

1. Why is glass rod used for decanting instead of other materials?

Glass is used for decanting because it is non-reactive and non-porous, meaning it will not interact with the substances being poured or absorb any of them. This ensures the purity of the decanted liquid.

2. Can other materials, such as plastic or metal, be used for decanting instead of glass?

While other materials can technically be used for decanting, they may have a higher risk of reactivity or absorption, which can affect the purity of the decanted liquid. Glass is the most commonly used material for its inert properties.

3. Is glass rod necessary for decanting, or can I use a different tool?

Glass rod is not necessary for decanting, but it can be a useful tool for gently stirring the liquid being decanted. This can help to separate any layers or particles that may have settled.

4. What makes glass a better choice for decanting compared to other materials?

Glass is a better choice for decanting because it is transparent, allowing for easy observation of the liquid being poured. It is also chemically stable and can withstand high temperatures, making it suitable for a wide range of substances and processes.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using glass for decanting?

Glass is generally considered a safe material for decanting, but it is important to handle it carefully to avoid breakage or injury. It is also recommended to use heat-resistant glass for decanting hot liquids to prevent cracking or shattering.