1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is glass transparent?

1. Jun 22, 2015 #1
    I know the question is simple but why is glass transparent and whats in the material to adds up to those elements and all the physics behind it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2015 #2
    Materials which are transparent have the property of allowing photons to pass through them without getting absorbed by atoms and thus warming up the material.
    No material is perfectly transparent though, if you make glass, (or water for that matter) thick enough, most of the photon will be absorbed and the material loses it transparency.

4. Jun 22, 2015 #3
    I understand that, but why does it let photons pass right through because glass is made of atoms and lead is made of atoms, glass is made up of up quarks, down quarks and electrons and lead is also made of up quarks, down quarks and electrons forming protons, neutrons and electron clouds which are the basic constituents of atoms but what is the physics behind letting photons pass through and why does that medium vary with material, atom and molecule?

5. Jun 22, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

have a look at this video ... should answer that question for you :)

Dave

6. Jun 22, 2015 #5
    I already watch this video and this is actually the exact video that inspired me to make this thread and it is one of my favorite sixty symbols videos. My real question was why do electron have energy gaps and why do some materials like glass have a bigger energy gaps than lead or any other opaque materials?

7. Jun 22, 2015 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK well that is a VERY different question to which you first asked causing me to waste my time posting a link for which you have already seen

I will let some one else answer your new Q

in the mean time how about doing some research yourself and type your own Q into google and see what you get 9 the bit I have bolded

Dave

8. Jun 22, 2015 #7
    Bad day, Davenn.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook