What Makes Glass Transparent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of transparency in materials, specifically in glass. It is explained that transparent materials allow photons to pass through without being absorbed by atoms, and the thickness of the material can affect its transparency. The conversation also touches on the physics behind transparency and why it varies among different materials, atoms, and molecules. One person mentions watching a video about this topic and asks about energy gaps in electrons, leading to a suggestion to do further research on the topic.
Alex299792458
I know the question is simple but why is glass transparent and what's in the material to adds up to those elements and all the physics behind it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Materials which are transparent have the property of allowing photons to pass through them without getting absorbed by atoms and thus warming up the material.
No material is perfectly transparent though, if you make glass, (or water for that matter) thick enough, most of the photon will be absorbed and the material loses it transparency.

I understand that, but why does it let photons pass right through because glass is made of atoms and lead is made of atoms, glass is made up of up quarks, down quarks and electrons and lead is also made of up quarks, down quarks and electrons forming protons, neutrons and electron clouds which are the basic constituents of atoms but what is the physics behind letting photons pass through and why does that medium vary with material, atom and molecule?

have a look at this video ... should answer that question for you :)

Dave

Likes Alex299792458 and rootone
I already watch this video and this is actually the exact video that inspired me to make this thread and it is one of my favorite sixty symbols videos. My real question was why do electron have energy gaps and why do some materials like glass have a bigger energy gaps than lead or any other opaque materials?

Alex299792458 said:
I already watch this video and this is actually the exact video that inspired me to make this thread and it is one of my favorite sixty symbols videos. My real question was why do electron have energy band gaps and why do some materials like glass have a bigger energy gaps than lead or any other opaque materials?
OK well that is a VERY different question to which you first asked causing me to waste my time posting a link for which you have already seen

I will let some one else answer your new Q

in the mean time how about doing some research yourself and type your own Q into google and see what you get 9 the bit I have bolded

Dave

Bad day, Davenn.

1. Why is glass transparent?

Glass is transparent because it is made up of molecules that are arranged in a way that allows light to pass through them without being scattered. This means that the light is able to travel through the glass without being absorbed or reflected, resulting in the appearance of transparency.

2. How does light interact with glass to make it transparent?

When light hits a piece of glass, the molecules in the glass absorb some of the light energy and then re-emit it in all directions. However, due to the uniform arrangement of the molecules in glass, the re-emitted light waves are not scattered and are able to pass through the glass, making it transparent.

3. Can all types of glass be transparent?

No, not all types of glass are transparent. The transparency of glass depends on its chemical composition and the way the molecules are arranged. For example, some types of glass used for windows or eyeglasses have additives that give them a green or blue tint, making them less transparent.

4. Is there a limit to how thick glass can be while still remaining transparent?

Yes, there is a limit to how thick glass can be while remaining transparent. As the thickness of glass increases, the probability of light being absorbed or scattered also increases. This means that at a certain thickness, glass will no longer appear transparent and may even appear opaque.

5. Why do some types of glass, like stained glass, appear to be colored instead of transparent?

This is because the molecules in stained glass are not arranged in a uniform pattern like in regular glass. This causes the light passing through it to be scattered and absorbed, resulting in the appearance of color instead of transparency.