1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is gravitational potential energy relative to the height you set?

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    Why is gravitational potential energy relative to the height you set?

When I say relative, I don't mean anything having to do with relativity. Obviously as you go further from the earth, you have more potential energy but in the equation Ug=mgh if you set the height to 0 there is no potential energy. If you set h to 5 say, for example, you get potential energy even if you're talking about the same point in space.

This makes no sense that you can assign any height to a point on earth and change an object's energy. I just don't get how it can have "this" much potential energy when I can easily change the reference height and also change the energy.

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2012 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

The fact you note is precisely because only DIFFERENCES in potential energy ever matter. Think about every time you've ever used a potential energy to calculate something. Want to know the velocity of a ball you dropped? Well, the difference between the potential energy at the top and bottom is mg(h)-mg(0)=mgh. Doesn't matter if you alter your vertical scale: mg(h+h')-mg(h')=mgh, and all of our answers come out the same. Implicitly, whenever we say an object has X potential energy, we always mean "relative to some reference point Y", it's just cumbersome to say, and the point Y is usually something taken to be convention (the surface of the Earth, a point at infinity, etc.).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook