Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is it that it's the gravitational force that keeps me on the ground?

1. Aug 31, 2010 #1
    Why is it that it's the gravitational force that keeps me on the ground?

Rather than the electrical force?

In general, and by the equation, electrical force is much stronger than the gravitational force!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2010 #2
    Electrical force are balanced. In other words, the summation of electrical charges on Earth should be zero, so there is no forces. You are made of atoms, which are have 0 electrical charge, and the Earth is made of atoms too, so no force in between.

4. Aug 31, 2010 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Between a pair of charged elementary particles--like an electron or proton--the electrical force is much stronger than the gravitational force. But you are not a charged particle--you have a huge mass (compared to either of those) and essentially zero charge.

5. Aug 31, 2010 #4

russ_watters

Well, electromagnetic force keeps you from falling THROUGH the ground but since you have no net charge, there is no basis for a long distance force.

[edit] ....quick draw fail!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  6. Aug 31, 2010 #5

Doc Al

:rofl:

7. Aug 31, 2010 #6
    Thank you folks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook