Why is my new 1ph AC motor overheating?

In summary, the person is seeking help with a project involving a Patterson air cannon fan and a Dayton 1hp 3ph ac motor. After reconditioning the unit and replacing the motor with a Leeson 1hp 1ph ac cap start motor, they encountered issues with the motor overheating and smoking. This happened with two different motors, leading them to question if the motor is spinning too fast due to the low load. They are considering using a 5hp motor or going back to the original 1100 rpm range. Another suggestion is to adjust the fan pulley diameter if possible. However, if it is a direct drive, a 1hp, 1ph motor in the 1100-1200
tmoore624
Hello all,

I'm about at my wits end with this project, so maybe someone with a little more knowledge can help me out? I recently bought a 30" Patterson air cannon fan that came with a Dayton 1hp 3ph ac motor. The whole unit needed to be reconditioned, and the motor needed to be replaced. After reconditioning the housing, I purchased a Leeson 1hp 1ph ac cap start motor to replace the 3ph motor, since we do not have 3ph power. Assembled everything, and wired the motor for 115V per the diagram stamped on the motor. The motor ran great for about 2 hours, then we noticed a burning smell, and found the motor to be extremely hot and smoking a little bit. Let it sit for several hours to cool down. Came back to find the motor locked. Had the motor replaced with an identical unit. After wiring in the new motor, it ran for 20 minutes before it started to get pretty warm. Shut it down before any serious damage occurred. When I contacted the company we purchased the motor from initially, they were stumped, and said this motor should be well suited for this application.
The motor is on it's own dedicated circuit. It is on a 30A 1 pole breaker, 10-2 solid copper wire, ending in a 30A receptacle. The fan has a 30A rated switch, and 12 ft 20A rated cord. I felt the cord was ok, seeing as how the full load amps of the motor is 13.6A. I know the power coming in is fine, but I'm at a loss as to why after 2 motors, this problem persists? The rated rpm of the motor is 1725. The old motor was 1175. Could it be the motor is spinning too fast since there is very little load? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
tmoore624 said:
The rated rpm of the motor is 1725. The old motor was 1175.
That's it right there.

For most fans and blowers, power requirement changes as the cube of speed (see affinity laws). You'd need a bit more than 3 HP to operate at 1725RPM versus the original motor's 1HP at 1175 RPM.

Likes CWatters, jim hardy, russ_watters and 1 other person
I learn something new every day. So would a 5 hp motor with the same specs be fine, or would I be better off just going back with something in the 1100 rpm range? Thank you so much much for your reply.

tmoore624 said:
I learn something new every day. So would a 5 hp motor with the same specs be fine, or would I be better off just going back with something in the 1100 rpm range? Thank you so much much for your reply.

If it uses pulleys and a V belt power transmission (and if there is enough room to fit a larger fan pulley) it should be possible to increase fan pulley diameter enough to drop fan RPM into a usable speed range.

If it is a direct drive (fan blades are mounted directly onto the motor shaft) then a 1 HP, 1 Ph, motor in the 1100-1200 RPM range is your best bet, and may be your only move. Standard single phase, 120V power range is limited to 3 HP, and in any event, the increase in overall motor frame size and shaft diameter may require a lot of mechanical rejiggering to get it installed (if it is even possible).

Good luck!

1. What causes a new 1ph ac motor to overheat?

There are several possible causes for a new 1ph ac motor to overheat. One common cause is a lack of proper ventilation or cooling, which can be caused by a blocked air intake or a malfunctioning fan. Another cause could be an overloaded motor, meaning that it is being asked to work harder than its rated capacity. Faulty wiring or a damaged motor winding can also result in overheating.

2. How can I prevent my new 1ph ac motor from overheating?

To prevent overheating, it is important to ensure that the motor has proper ventilation and is not overloaded. Regular maintenance, such as cleaning or replacing air filters, can also help prevent overheating. Properly sizing the motor for the load it will be carrying and using the correct power supply are also important preventative measures.

3. Can overheating damage a new 1ph ac motor?

Yes, overheating can cause serious damage to a new 1ph ac motor. If the motor is allowed to overheat repeatedly, it can cause insulation breakdown in the motor windings, leading to a short circuit and potential motor failure. It can also cause other components, such as bearings, to wear out more quickly.

4. How can I tell if my new 1ph ac motor is overheating?

There are several signs that your new 1ph ac motor may be overheating. These include a burning smell, excessive vibration, and a hot exterior casing. You may also notice decreased performance or the motor shutting off unexpectedly. If you suspect your motor is overheating, it is important to address the issue promptly to prevent further damage.

5. What should I do if my new 1ph ac motor is overheating?

If you notice signs of overheating in your new 1ph ac motor, it is important to address the issue immediately. First, ensure that the motor is not overloaded and has proper ventilation. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to have a professional inspect the motor for any faulty components or wiring. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule to prevent overheating in the future.