Why is power rated in watts if not watts per hour?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Watts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Messages
5,112
Reaction score
20
I thought watts was defined as J/sec . So how can something be rated in watts/hour? Doesnt that mean Joules per second per hour?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of anything rated in W/hr. Your electricity meter shows your energy consumption in kWh (kilowatt hours), which would be Jh/s. So clearly one kWh = 3600 J (I hope I did that right). Are you sure the Watts and hours were not being multiplied in the example you saw?

edit: russ was quicker on the draw.
 
I thought like, your electricity bill is measured in KW/H... is it suppose to be KW*h?? I don't have it written down anywhere, i just always remembered electricity as being generated as KW/H... have i just been living with a bad assumption for these past few years lol
 
lol oh man, so I've been remembering and writing it down incorrectly? lol oh man... I am an idiot.

So 1 KWh, the thing your billed for... is 3.6MJ?
 
And it seems I forgot about the "kilo" in my post :redface:
 
Ah beautiful, now my calculations will make more sense.
 
There's no physical quantity which would have the (SI) units [itex]\frac{\mbox{W}}{\mbox{s}}[/itex].It would be the rate of variation of power (electrical or mechanical) in unit time,but no one asserted a name to it.

Daniel.