Why is the 10 μF capacitor causing extreme confusion?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct notation for 10^-5 and the use of an inequality sign in the solution for a capacitor problem. It is mentioned that the units should be μF and that the capacitors in series will have the same charge, with the 10 μF capacitor having the greatest voltage.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6946/unledyh.png

My question is

1) What in the world is 10^-5 ? Shouldn't it be 10^-6?
2) I know they already explained why it is the 10uF Capacitor, but could someone massage it further for me? I am an idiot

Also, I know I being picky, but shouldn't it be an inequality sign of [tex]\leq [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) 10-5 = 10 × 10-6. I presume the units should be μF. I'd take a point from the person writing the solutions. LOL !

It's an equal sign because they asked for the maximum.

Added in Edit:

After more carefully reading the statement about the capacitors, I agree that the answer should have the inequality you suggested.

It doesn't say that can each withstand 100V, it says none can withstand more than 100V.

Last edited:
I would approach this a bit differently.

Since the capacitors are in series, each will have the same charge. Therefore, the one with the least capacitance (the 10 μF capacitor) will have the greatest voltage (potential) across it, namely 100 Volts. Use this to find the charge on the 10 μF capacitor, and thus each of the others. Then find the voltage across each of them and take the sum.

Related to Why is the 10 μF capacitor causing extreme confusion?

1. What causes extreme confusion?

Extreme confusion can be caused by a variety of factors, such as stress, sleep deprivation, medication side effects, neurological disorders, and mental health conditions.

2. How can extreme confusion be treated?

The treatment for extreme confusion depends on the underlying cause. It may involve addressing any underlying medical conditions, therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes such as getting enough rest and managing stress.

3. Is extreme confusion a sign of dementia?

Extreme confusion can be a symptom of dementia, but it is not always a definitive sign. Other symptoms such as memory loss, disorientation, and difficulty with daily tasks are also important factors in diagnosing dementia.

4. Can extreme confusion be prevented?

In some cases, extreme confusion can be prevented by maintaining a healthy lifestyle, managing stress levels, and addressing any underlying medical conditions. However, it is not always possible to prevent confusion, especially when it is caused by a neurological disorder or mental health condition.

5. When should I seek help for extreme confusion?

If you experience extreme confusion that interferes with your daily life or lasts for an extended period, it is important to seek help from a medical professional. They can help identify the underlying cause and provide appropriate treatment.