Why Is the Calculation of the Moment Sign Confusing in Force-Couple Systems?

  • Thread starter Thread starter blue996
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Confused Moment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
blue996
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/371/diagramv.th.jpg

I'm supposed to determine the equivalent force-couple system at point A, but that's not actually what I'm posting about. I got the problem right except for the sign calculating the moment.

The Attempt at a Solution



Rx= -200 N - (3/5) (150 N) = -290 N
Ry= (4/5) (-150 N) + 150 N = 30 N
R = Sqrt( (-290 N)2 + (30N)2 = 291.5 N

Theta= arctan (30/-290 N) = 185.9

Here, calculating the moment, the answer should be:
=(-200 N*.13 m)-(150N)(.3 m) +(4/5)(150N)(0.15m)-(50 N*m)=-103 N*m

Now I know that 50 n*m is negative, but why is (-200N)(.13m) positive? I'm trying to think about how to apply the RHR, but I'm getting confused... I know you're supposed to rotate the position vector towards the force vector when they're placed tail to tail.
if the Force vector is <--- and the position vector (from A to the force vector is how I imagined it, I think this is where I'm going wrong) is ^ then I get my thumb pointing outward, which is CCW and thus negative. :(

So that's where I am, I'm not sure when calculating the moment if a force is either positive or negative signed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
But the moment from the 200 N force about A is negative (ccw=negative), so why are you saying it is positive? Don't look at the sign of the force when determining moments...just use clockwise or counterclockwise, using right hand rule.
 
The problem took the clockwise from the horizontal as the positive direction for moments, but the answer to the moment for that particular component (-200 N)(0.13m). I guess because they put the negative sign within the parenthesis instead of outside I thought it was part of the sign of the force, not related to the sign of the moment.

Ack, thanks. I guess I was just overthinking it and getting myself confused...
 
yes, you are right, the negative should have been outside thw parentheses, to avoid confusion. Always take the force as a positive number..as you would if the force was at an angle say perpendicular to the point about which you were summing moments. Most conventions use ccw as plus, but I always use cw as plus. In the end, it doesn't matter, as long as you are consistent.