1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the distance that two objects are apart (r) when it should be half of it?

1. Feb 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

what is the gravitational force of atraction between
    two oranges of 0.12kg each placed 0.2m apart

2. Relevant equations

F=(Gm1m2)/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    it works when i put r = 0.2 but shouldnt it be 0.1 (half the diameter is the radius isnt it?)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your intuition for F is correct for things like the Earth, where we are a distance r=radius from the Earth's center. But, more generally, r just represents the distance between the two objects. In this case, the distance is just .2m.

4. Feb 17, 2010 #3
    what i know about r in these kinds of questions that it is the distance from the centre of object1 to the centre of object2, so if that 0.2 represents:

radius of object1+raduis of object2+the distance between the two surfaces , then your work is done .. but becareful with other questions this one i assume that they meant that 0.2 is the distance from centre object1 to centre object2 ..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook