Radially infalling object - when to use + or - sqrt?

• Thread starter liron
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore momentum is always positive and in the same direction as the velocity, regardless of how you solve for it.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of momentum for an object falling towards a non-rotating black hole. The object has a mass of m and a velocity of dr/dt, where r is the distance from the center of the black hole and t is time. The equation for velocity involves a square root, which can result in a positive or negative value. However, it is determined that the negative root is the correct one. The momentum equation is then derived, and it is found that the magnitude of momentum is always positive and in the same direction as the velocity, regardless of how the calculations are done.
liron

Homework Statement

An object falls radially towards a non rotating black hole from infinity (i.e. the velocity is the same as the escape velocity except negative). The black hole has a Schwarzschild radius of Rs = 2GM/c2 where G is the gravitational constant, M is the black hole's mass and c is the speed of light in free space. The object has mas m and velocity v = dr/dt where r is distance from the centre of the black hole and t is time.

When I calculate the momentum, I can get either a positive or negative result, depending on how I do it, since a square root is involved. I know it should be negative so in this case and in general,how can I be sure I have the right root?

Homework Equations

According to a website I looked up, the velocity should be:

dr/dt = (+/-) sqrt(M/r)(1-Rs/r)

However i believe that M=1 & c=1 in their cauculations. Adding them back in gives:

dr/dt = (+/-) sqrt(2GM/rc2)(1-Rs/r) = Rs/r

Since radius decreases as time increases, the negative root is the correct one:

dr/dt = -c sqrt(Rs/r)(1-Rs/r)

I calculated that the momentum (not 4-momentum) in this situation should be:

p = m v sqrt(1 - Rs/r - v2/(c2(1-Rs/r))

The Attempt at a Solution

When I plug in the velocity into the momentum equation, I get:
p = -mc sqrt(Rs/r)(1-Rs/r) / (sqrt(1 - Rs/r - c2(Rs/r)(1 - Rs/r)2/(c2(1-Rs/r)))

This reduces to:

p = -m c sqrt(Rs/r)(1-Rs/r) / sqrt((1 - Rs/r)(1 - Rs/r))

This reduces to p = -m c sqrt(Rs/r)

However, if I change the second last equation to be:

p = m c sqrt(Rs/r)(Rs/r-1) / sqrt((Rs/r-1)(Rs/r-1))

This reduces to p = m c sqrt(Rs/r)

So depending on how I do my calculations, I can get the answer or the negative of the answer, even when I start out with the correct root.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since momentum is a vector, you would just need to specify its magnitude |dr/dt| and its direction. If I have a vector like <2, - 3>, it doesn't really make sense saying whether its positive or negative.

I'll assume the rest of your work is correct. You just need to recognize that ##\sqrt{x^2} = \lvert x \rvert##, so If ##r>R_s##, then ##\sqrt{\left(1-\frac{R_s}{r}\right)^2} = \sqrt{\left(\frac{R_s}{r}-1\right)^2} = 1-\frac{R_s}{r} > 0##.

1) When should I use the positive or negative square root in the equation for a radially infalling object?

The positive square root is used in the equation when the object is moving towards the center of another object, such as in the case of gravitational attraction. The negative square root is used when the object is moving away from the center, such as in the case of a repulsive force.

2) Why do we need to use the square root in the equation for a radially infalling object?

The square root is used to account for the fact that the distance between two objects decreases as the object falls towards the center. This allows us to calculate the velocity and acceleration of the object at any given point in time.

3) How does the square root affect the calculation of the object's velocity and acceleration?

The square root is a crucial component in the equation as it allows us to accurately calculate the object's velocity and acceleration at any given point. Without it, our calculations would not accurately reflect the decrease in distance between the objects and could lead to incorrect results.

4) Can the square root ever be negative in the equation for a radially infalling object?

No, the square root cannot be negative in this equation. This is because the distance between two objects cannot be negative, as it represents a physical distance that cannot be less than zero.

5) Are there any other factors that can affect the use of the square root in the equation for a radially infalling object?

Yes, in addition to the direction of the object's movement, other factors such as the mass and distance of the objects, as well as any external forces, can affect the use of the square root in the equation. These factors must be taken into account to ensure accurate calculations.