Calculating the Velocity and Distance of Two Colliding Planets using Gravity

• Thread starter Hashiramasenju
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planets
In summary: That's what I was looking for. If total mass is non-zero and momentum is zero, then the velocity of the center of mass must also be zero.Thanks ! That's what I was looking for.
Hashiramasenju

Homework Statement

Two spherical pieces of rock, of masses m1=1.0×1010kg and m2=2.0×1010kg and both of radius r=1500m (2.s.f.) are in deep space a distance of R=1000km (2.s.f.) apart. The only force between them is gravity and they are initially stationary. Find the speed of m1 at collision ? and how much distance m1 travels before colliding.

Homework Equations

F=Gm1m2/R^2
U=Gm1m2/r
E=0.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part i tried to find the difference in potential then equate that to the kinetic energy but its was in vain

Physics news on Phys.org
Hashiramasenju said:
For the first part i tried to find the difference in potential then equate that to the kinetic energy but its was in vain
That's certainly part of the solution. Hint: Besides energy, what else is conserved?

Show what you did.

Doc Al said:
That's certainly part of the solution. Hint: Besides energy, what else is conserved?

Show what you did.
momentum is conserved so m1v1=-m2v2

But how do you calculate the potential energy?

Thanks for the reply

Hashiramasenju said:
momentum is conserved so m1v1=-m2v2
Right.

Hashiramasenju said:
But how do you calculate the potential energy?
You gave the formula yourself:
Hashiramasenju said:
U=Gm1m2/r
It's missing a minus sign, by the way.

Doc Al said:
Right.You gave the formula yourself:
It's missing a minus sign, by the way.
so is it Gm1m2/(2r+R)=0.5m1v1^2

where R is the distance between the surface of the two rocks

Hashiramasenju said:
so is it Gm1m2/(2r+R)=0.5m1v1^2

where R is the distance between the surface of the two rocks
You need the change in potential energy, as the rocks move from initial to final position. And that will equal the total kinetic energy of both rocks, not just m1.

You need to combine that with conservation of momentum to solve for the final speed of m1.

Doc Al said:
You need the change in potential energy, as the rocks move from initial to final position. And that will equal the total kinetic energy of both rocks, not just m1.

You need to combine that with conservation of momentum to solve for the final speed of m1.
Thats what is confusing me so is it
Gm1m2/(2r+R) -Gm1m2/(2r)=0..5m1v1^2+0.5m2v2^2

Hashiramasenju said:
Almost. You have the sign wrong on the left-hand side. (What you have now is negative.)

Hashiramasenju said:
Since we are not told whether the separation is center to center or edge to edge, it is not clear whether you need to account for the 2r in the starting separation. In any case, to two significant figures, 2r is negligible compared to R. So you may as well simplify the equation now and save yourself some work later.

Doc Al said:
Almost. You have the sign wrong on the left-hand side. (What you have now is negative.)
OMG ! I got the answer. Thanks alot.

So for the second part i got the answer by guessing that m1/m2=d2/d1
where d1 is the distance travveled by m1 and likewise for d2

and the answer was correct but i don't know why

Hashiramasenju said:
OMG ! I got the answer. Thanks alot.
Excellent.

Hashiramasenju said:
So for the second part i got the answer by guessing that m1/m2=d2/d1
where d1 is the distance travveled by m1 and likewise for d2

and the answer was correct but i don't know why
No guessing allowed! :-)

Hint: Where is the center of mass of this system? Does it change when they approach?

Likes Hashiramasenju
Doc Al said:
Excellent.No guessing allowed! :-)

Hint: Where is the center of mass of this system? Does it change when they approach?
I got it. But why doesn't the CM change ?

Hashiramasenju said:
I got it. But why doesn't the CM change ?
If the two masses start at rest, the total momentum of the system is zero, yes? The total momentum of a composite system can (at least classically) also be computed as total mass multiplied by velocity of the center of mass.

If total mass is non-zero and momentum is zero, what does that tell you about the velocity of the center of mass?

Likes Hashiramasenju
jbriggs444 said:
If the two masses start at rest, the total momentum of the system is zero, yes? The total momentum of a composite system can (at least classically) also be computed as total mass multiplied by velocity of the center of mass.

If total mass is non-zero and momentum is zero, what does that tell you about the velocity of the center of mass?
Thanks !

1. What happens when two planets collide?

When two planets collide, the impact can result in a variety of outcomes depending on the size, speed, and composition of the planets. In some cases, one or both planets may be destroyed or shattered into smaller pieces. In other cases, the planets may merge together or form a new, larger planet. The impact can also cause significant changes in the orbits and rotation of the planets.

2. How often do planets collide?

Planets colliding is a rare event in our solar system. The last known major collision between two planets was over 4 billion years ago when Earth collided with a Mars-sized object, resulting in the formation of our moon. However, smaller collisions between objects in space, such as comets and asteroids, occur more frequently.

3. Can two planets in the same solar system collide?

Yes, it is possible for two planets in the same solar system to collide. However, the chances of this happening are very slim due to the vast distances between planets and the fact that their orbits are carefully balanced by the forces of gravity. In our solar system, the closest planets, Mercury and Venus, are still millions of miles apart.

4. What would happen to life on Earth if two planets collided?

If two planets were to collide in our solar system, it is likely that Earth would be greatly affected. The impact could potentially cause catastrophic damage to our planet and wipe out all life forms. However, the chances of this happening are extremely low and scientists are constantly monitoring the skies for any potential threats.

5. How do scientists study the effects of planet collisions?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the effects of planet collisions. They can simulate collisions in a laboratory setting using models and computer simulations. They also study the impact craters on planets, moons, and other celestial bodies to understand the effects of past collisions. Additionally, they use telescopes and other instruments to track and analyze potential collisions in space.