1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Why is the general theory of relativity is so complicated

1. Dec 13, 2017 #1
    why is the general theory of relativity is so complicated
    i feel that it's very simple no thing hard in it
    there is a whole website to make people understand it i read the articles and i didn't found any thing complicated
    knowing the i am 13 so it should be very hard to understand

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Do you feel the universe is compelled to arrange itself in a way a 13 year old can understand?

4. Dec 13, 2017 #3
    i think you misunderstood me maybe
    but what i mean that why people is saying about it complicated ?

5. Dec 13, 2017 #4

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Can you calculate the precession of mercury using general relativity?

6. Dec 13, 2017 #5
    as i read yes the gr explained the Precession of mercury

7. Dec 13, 2017 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That isn't what he asked. He asked if YOU can calculate it.

Also, is English your native language? Your posts are very difficult to read.

8. Dec 13, 2017 #7
    1 actually no
    2 no i am Egyption

9. Dec 13, 2017 #8

russ_watters

Then that means you don't fully understand the theory, right? GR is actually pretty hard to learn and use.
    Fair enough. I'll ask you to try to make your posts easier to read, but I understand you may be at the limit of your English skills.

10. Dec 13, 2017 #9
    do you have any advice's to fully understand it ?

there is some phrases confuse me and some words i forget their spelling so i do my best

11. Dec 13, 2017 #10

russ_watters

You're 13 years old? It is admirable that you want to learn it, but at this point you don't know enough math to go past learning about it. So you will want to spend the next 5 years learning as much math as you can, and toward the end of that, Newtonian physics. The usual time to actually learn how to do Relativity is in college.

12. Dec 13, 2017 #11
    thanks for that
    but i don't think that my school maths would help me enough to be good in physics and qualify me to understand the fully gr
    you can say i understand bits of the gr not all but bits
    so what math do you advice me to learn from now ?

13. Dec 13, 2017 #12

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, differential equations, and several more specialized classes that you've likely never heard of. Don't be in a rush. You don't need to know how to calculate things using GR in order to understand its basic concepts and appreciate the theory as a whole. I certainly can't do anything using GR, and I'm over twice your age and have been through several years of college.

14. Dec 13, 2017 #13
    i am not in rush or maybe a bit
    but this rush because i am afraid to die before i be what i want
    that's it actually
    and thank you guys both for this help

15. Dec 13, 2017 #14

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I know the feeling. Best of luck to you.

16. Dec 13, 2017 #15

17. Dec 13, 2017 #16

Dale

@mr1batman to get a feel for why GR is considered hard, you might read the first chapter or two of Sean Carroll’s famous “Lecture Notes On General Relativity”. It is a good textbook at an introductory level.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  18. Dec 13, 2017 #17
    Like everyone else has led you to understand, it is easy to know how it works but very hard to predict how masses follow it's rules. When people who understand very well Newton's laws of physics go to learn Einstein's laws of physics then they understand why it is so difficult. Newton's simple rules were not wrong, they just do not cover all the complications like high energy and very fast velocity. Einstein's complicated system covers everything we know about mass and energy and the universal speed limit which gravity and light can never exceed.

19. Dec 13, 2017 #18
    Einsteins theories of General and Special Relativity were developed during WW1 in Germany I think, and are tested continuously and yet to be disproved. The maths are advanced and conceptually have taken classical Physics to a different level that can be mind bendingly difficult to adjust to. I admire a 13 year old wanting to wrestle with the maths, it is the stuff that can make him noticed and mentored as were Pauli and Heisenburg by Bohr. Go for it young man there are Nobel prizes out there to be won!

20. Dec 13, 2017 #19
  21. Dec 14, 2017 #20
    this motivational comment is one of the best comments i ever seen
    bro my family don't motivate me at all
    they keep frustrating me !
    thank you very much

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted