Why is the idea of Aether being attached to Earth questioned?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter hartlw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Aether Earth
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
hartlw
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
What rules out Aether being attached to earth?

Why should the Earth be singled out as stationary wrt the aether? If the universe is completeley arbitrary, why are we here? If I were setting up the system, I would plant the aether where it makes the most sense and is most useful.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no Aether, so the Earth is not special. At the same time you seem to want an Aether attached to earth, (your first statement) and not in your second sentence. Make up your mind.

The simplest solution is that an Aether is a unnecessary complication. We do not need it to explain anything.
 
hartlw said:
What rules out Aether being attached to earth?

Why should the Earth be singled out as stationary wrt the aether? If the universe is completeley arbitrary, why are we here? If I were setting up the system, I would plant the aether where it makes the most sense and is most useful.

Experiment ruled this out long ago. Read here
 
hartlw said:
What rules out Aether being attached to earth?

Why should the Earth be singled out as stationary wrt the aether? If the universe is completeley arbitrary, why are we here? If I were setting up the system, I would plant the aether where it makes the most sense and is most useful.

More interestingly, why are you attempting to duplicate a thread that was locked for a good reason?