Why is the newer edition of this book cheaper than the old?

• Thread starter mindheavy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses the pricing of two editions of Larson Calculus - the 9th and 10th edition. The 10th edition, despite being newer, is less expensive than the 9th edition. It is suggested to purchase the 10th edition from Amazon as it is heavily discounted compared to the list price. The reason for the price difference between the two editions is speculated to be due to the economy of scale and discounting of in-print books compared to out-of-print books.
mindheavy
Larson Calculus

Both editions appear to be the complete book (covering all calculus topics through vector calc)

The newer 10th edition is less expensive than the older edition. I'm wondering this because I'm about to buy one and I have a choice of either edition as far as my class goes. Just seems weird that the older one costs more.

9th Edition
10th Edition

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a bit bizarre. Checking barnes and noble
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/calculus-ron-larson/1116747036?ean=9780547167022
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/calculus-ron-larson/1100529887?ean=9781285057095

The 9th edition had a list price of 293 dollars and the 10th edition had a list price of 266 dollars. The first conclusion is you should go ahead and get the 10th edition from amazon because apparently it's a hundred dollars off what you'll get in a store (which is insane, the textbook market is ridiculous)

The rest of my post is pure speculation - I would imagine that books may be discounted at the start of a print run compared to later runs simply because they make/sell more of them so they get an economy of scale. Furthermore most of the price discrepancy on Amazon is because one book is heavily discounted to the list price compared to the other, which might be because they don't discount out of print books compared to how much they are willing to discount in print books

1. Why is the newer edition of this book cheaper than the old?

There are several possible reasons for this. It could be because the newer edition was printed using cheaper materials or production methods. It could also be because the publisher wants to encourage people to buy the newer edition instead of the older one. Additionally, the older edition may have been more expensive due to its popularity or limited availability.

2. Is the content of the newer edition different from the old one?

In most cases, the content of the newer edition will be updated or revised in some way. This could include new information, updated data, or even a completely new chapter. However, the changes may be minor and not significantly affect the overall content of the book.

3. Will the older edition be discontinued?

It is possible that the older edition will eventually be discontinued, but this is not always the case. Some publishers may continue to sell both editions, especially if they cater to different markets or audiences. It ultimately depends on the publisher's decision and the demand for the older edition.

4. Can I still use the older edition for my studies/research?

It depends on your specific needs and the extent of the changes in the newer edition. If the changes are minor and do not significantly affect the content, then you can still use the older edition. However, if the newer edition contains new information or major revisions, it may be better to use the updated version for more accurate and current information.

5. Should I buy the newer edition or save money and buy the older one?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and needs. If the changes in the newer edition are significant and you need the most current information, then it may be worth investing in the newer edition. However, if the changes are minor or you are on a budget, the older edition may still be a good option for you.