Why is the Sabine equation considered an equation, but not a law?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mohamed Nabil
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Eqautions Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
Mohamed Nabil
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello brothers,
I have been studying much of acoustics recently, and I've been confronted by the following question:

why Sabine equation is not a law?
I mean, It has been used and experimented under certain conditions, and as I get it, that's what you need to call an equation a Law.

I'll appreciate your help among that.
Thank you all,,,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Whether something is a called law or not is mostly just a historical accident. In the past it was more fashionable to call solidly established results laws and nowadays it is less so.
 
Wallace Sabine had an acoustics unit, the sabin, named for his contributions to physics.
A unit of acoustic absorption equivalent to the absorption by one square foot of a perfect absorber.