Why is the speed of light an exception? (same to all observers)

In summary, the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative speeds. However, when both of the two velocities to be added are very small in magnitude compared to the speed of light, the relativistic velocity equation simplifies to the our everyday velocity addition rules.
jpixel
say you are in a car traveling at 60 mph, and another car beside you is traveling at 80 mph about to overtake..If a third really fast car was to zoom past at 200 mph (in a third lane), to me he is effectively traveling at 140 mph and to the overtaker 120 mph..

But the speed of light would be the same to all of us, if a car traveling at the speed of light was to whizz past also...why? why is it an exception? and exactly at what speed threshold can we stop subtracting speeds like I did above? c-2 kph? c-3 kph?

Science news on Phys.org
If you want, I can post the relativistic velocity addition formula. (Or you can google it.)

This formula applies at all speeds, not just relativistic speeds. When both of the two velocities to be added are very small in magnitude compared to the speed of light, the relativistic velocity equation simplifies to the our everyday velocity addition rules.

For example, you are a passenger in a car going 60 mph and you shoot a sling shot which sends a rock flying in front of you at 60 mph relative to you. A stationary observer on the ground will see that rock as going at 119.99999999999904 mph, not 120. That difference is so very small that it is essential 120 mph.

There is not a special point at which one can stop adding velocities per our everyday velocity addition rules. What happens is that discrepancy between our everyday velocity addition rules and the rules per special relativity grows as velocities approach the speed of light.

Or in a different sense. Einstein's theory of special relativity begins on the determination of synchronous events. He does so by introducing a thought experiment suggesting that if a beam of light is sent from position A to position B and reflected back again, while another beam of light is sent from B to A and reflected back again, that if they were to arrive simultaneously, than the events (clocks) are synchronized. Say that tA is the time at which the beam leaves A, tB similarly, and tA' is the time at which the beam is reflected from B. Then:

tA - tB = tA' - tB and,

2AB/tA'-tA = c

Thus by definition, the speed of light is a measurement of synchronous events or of time itself. In our Universe, as we know it, the constant of the speed of light (c) is simply that, a constant. Everything else, including space, time, energy etc. is relative between observers.

I am not a physicist but for years I was uncomfortable with this concept.

No matter how much people said, "well it's a constant: distance/time = c," I was not satisfied. Common phrases such as, "it's based on our unit of measure," or "it's how we define things," did nothing to convince me.

What finally gave me a comfortable feeling, as naive as it may be, was the concept of the fine-structure constant.

When I think of this in my layman's head, it makes me think: If we were to change the speed of light, the interaction distance of various forces (EM, strong, weak, gravity) would change. If this changes then our sense of distance would change. If our sense of distance changes, then the way we measure speed changes, and in the end arrive at the same number, c. So changing the speed of light has no impact.

It's kind of fun to think about how arbitrary our sense of distance really is. We could change our length scale and change the speed of light (compact our universe into an atomic nucleus). But with a constant fine structure we would never know it – the amount of time for information to travel a given distance stays the same.

On the other hand changing the fine structure constant would change things, I believe it would make a change to our length scale or change our concept of time. My understanding however is that matter would then no longer be stable.

I would appreciate if an expert repudiates/adds precision to what I am saying. I am a lowly engineer.

Likes Ishaan S

The speed of light is an exception because it is a fundamental constant of the universe. It is the maximum speed at which any object can travel, and it is the same for all observers regardless of their relative velocity.

In your example, the speed of light would still be the same for all observers, even if a third car were to zoom past at 200 mph. This is because the speed of light is not affected by the motion of the observer or the source of light. This is known as the principle of relativity.

As for the speed threshold at which we stop subtracting speeds, there is no specific number as the speed of light is the ultimate limit. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it takes an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further. Therefore, it is not possible for any object to exceed the speed of light.

In conclusion, the speed of light is an exception because it is a fundamental constant of the universe, and it is the same for all observers regardless of their relative velocity. This concept is essential in understanding the behavior of light and the universe as a whole.

1. Why is the speed of light the same for all observers?

The speed of light is considered to be a universal constant because it is the fastest possible speed at which energy and information can travel through space. This is due to the fundamental properties of space and time, which are believed to be the same for all observers in the universe. Therefore, the speed of light remains the same regardless of the relative motion of the observer.

2. How was the speed of light first determined?

The first successful measurement of the speed of light was conducted by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the late 17th century. He used observations of the moons of Jupiter to calculate the time it took for light to travel from Jupiter to Earth under different conditions, and from that, he was able to estimate the speed of light.

3. Is the speed of light truly constant?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is a constant in all inertial frames of reference. This means that the speed of light remains the same regardless of the observer's relative motion. However, in some extreme circumstances, such as near massive objects or in the early universe, the speed of light may appear to be slightly different due to the effects of gravity and the expansion of the universe.

4. How does the speed of light affect time and space?

Einstein's theory of relativity also states that the speed of light is closely related to the fabric of space-time. As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object, and the object's length in the direction of its motion appears to contract. This phenomenon, known as time dilation and length contraction, is a consequence of the constant speed of light and has been proven through various experiments and observations.

5. Could the speed of light ever change?

While the speed of light has been confirmed to be a universal constant, some theories, such as string theory, suggest that the speed of light may have been different in the early universe. However, there is currently no empirical evidence to support this claim. It is also possible that the speed of light may vary in different regions of the universe or in different dimensions, but these are still speculative ideas and have not been proven by scientific evidence.