Why is the US ignoring the violence in Syria while intervening in Libya?

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
61 replies · 24K views
I am syrian and had to make acount to share what majority of syrian people think.

We don't want any forein intervention. We don't exactly have America/France/Britain in our harts and consider them as bad, if not worse, than our tyrant.

We consider America to be the number one terrorist state. How do you call killing hundred of thousands of innocent iraqis in a war based on lies, only to control region and oil? We call this terrorism.

Syrian people are well educated about western world imperialism. Please america, for once, mind your own business.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
damascus said:
I am syrian and had to make acount to share what majority of syrian people think.

We don't want any forein intervention. We don't exactly have America/France/Britain in our harts and consider them as bad, if not worse, than our tyrant.

We consider America to be the number one terrorist state. How do you call killing hundred of thousands of innocent iraqis in a war based on lies, only to control region and oil? We call this terrorism.

Syrian people are well educated about western world imperialism. Please america, for once, mind your own business.
I've spoken to a few Iraqi's who've been disposessed, displaced since 2003. They didn't like Sadaam, they didn't like the political situation, but, as they say it, at least they had a life. So, being an American, living in the US for my entire life, I can empathize with this. I certainly wouldn't want a foreign power to invade and occupy my land.

Unfortunately, the reality is that the world at large is not a just or fair place. Whether because of US past deeds or not, the ME is, generally, a hotbed of anti-US antagonism. That's a current fact that the US can't ignore. Plus, there's those vast oil reserves. The US is never, ever, going to just mind its own business.

It's a sort of war on many fronts. And propagandists on both sides will try to spin it in their favor. But, as I see it, it's a confrontation between two quite different ways of life. And while I can empathize with the anger of Arabs and Muslims, I still don't want them to win.