Why is there no consensus about the meaning of probability in MWI?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter kered rettop
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    meaning Probability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
276 replies · 20K views
May I ask - If one entertains the notion of "multiple worlds" that does not interact, why do we care about consensus between them? It seems it's not a problem as long as they don't interact.

What is wrong with the more obvious: We have "many observers" in the same world, but that DO interact. And the quest is to understand how.

QM as we know, does not describe interacting observers. This why therer is a "problem" whenever we put a "classical measurement device" as part of the "quantum side".

I say lets solve the real problem, I dont see how then many worlds concept is constructive in any direction? How does it help?

/Fredrik
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jbergman and Lord Jestocost
Physics news on Phys.org
Fra said:
I say lets solve the real problem, I dont see how then many worlds concept is constructive in any direction? How does it help?

/Fredrik
It doesn't. It's not even a well-defined concept. It's primarily a name given to an interpretation, where things which it would be reasonable to call "worlds" emerge from the model and scare the living hell out of us. They also invite a catchy, if somewhat misleading, name for the interpretation. But these worlds are not used in the arguments of the model as far as I know, and they are certainly not postulated a priori.
 
Last edited:
kered rettop said:
It doesn't.
I think this all the consensus I need.

/Fredrik
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lord Jestocost
Fra said:
I think this all the consensus I need.

/Fredrik
Really? You must be the only person on PF who regards my opinions as being a sufficient consensus. Even I take them with a very large pinch of salt!