Why is this equation about adding pure substances correct?

• Thread starter HAF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pure
In summary, the conversation discusses the second equation in a picture and how it is correct. It is explained that the equation is about adding pure B to a solution and the assumption is that it does not result in any change to the volume of the solution. However, in highly accurate work, volume changes must be taken into account.
HAF
Hello,
I have a little problem. I try to find out why the second equation in the picture is correct. How can I get it? Down on the paper is what I did.

Where did the (1+V2/V1) disappear from the right side of equation?

Thank You for every help.
Document 13_4.jpg

Attachments

• Document 13_4.jpg
    Document 13_4.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
In general you are right, something is wrong. Perhaps V2 is much lower than V1, then 1+V2/V1 is approximately 1.

Borek said:
In general you are right, something is wrong. Perhaps V2 is much lower than V1, then 1+V2/V1 is approximately 1.
Thank You sir. I really appreciate your help.

The clue is in the title of the post. Equation 1 is about mixing two solutions; Equation 2 is about adding pure B to a solution. There is no V2 and c2; n2 moles of pure B are added to solution 1. The assumption is that this does not result in any change to the volume V1 of the solution, which is a good approximation if c1 and c3 are both dilute.

Likes Borek
mjc123 said:
The clue is in the title of the post. Equation 1 is about mixing two solutions; Equation 2 is about adding pure B to a solution. There is no V2 and c2; n2 moles of pure B are added to solution 1. The assumption is that this does not result in any change to the volume V1 of the solution, which is a good approximation if c1 and c3 are both dilute.
I understand what you want to tell me but can I ask something?

Why by adding pure B the volume does not change?

It does change, but not by very much if the solutions are dilute. If the volume of solute is much smaller than the volume of solvent, it can often be practically ignored, and we can say with minimal error that concentration = moles of solute/volume of solvent. For highly accurate work we need to take volume changes into account, and of course the assumption breaks down for concentrated solutions.

1. Why is it important to add pure substances in an equation?

Adding pure substances in an equation ensures accuracy and precision in the results. It eliminates the possibility of contaminants or impurities affecting the outcome of the experiment.

2. What is the significance of using pure substances in scientific experiments?

Pure substances are essential in scientific experiments as they allow for controlled and reproducible results. This is crucial in validating the findings and drawing accurate conclusions.

3. How do pure substances affect the chemical reactions in an equation?

Pure substances play a vital role in chemical reactions as they are the only substances involved in the reaction and their properties determine the outcome. Using impure substances can alter the reaction and yield inaccurate results.

4. Can impurities in substances affect the results of the equation?

Yes, impurities in substances can significantly impact the results of an equation. They can alter the concentration, composition, and properties of the substance, leading to incorrect calculations and conclusions.

5. How can we ensure that the substances used in an equation are pure?

The purity of substances can be ensured through proper labeling, storage, and handling methods. In addition, using high-quality reagents and following established protocols can also help maintain the purity of substances.