Why is this truth table incorrect?

In summary: He seems like he is out to get you.In summary, the conversation discusses creating a truth table for a logical statement and the confusion over its correctness. The user had previously been marked wrong for a similar problem in their college logic course but upon further examination, their solution is found to be correct. The professor then argues that the T/F values for P and Q should be in a specific order, which the user finds counterproductive.
Rytif

Homework Statement

Create a truth table for ((P->Q) == (Q->P))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/94ldj.pngI've had two quizes with problems just like this marked wrong in my college logic course. I confronted the professor about it and he just told me to study the truth tables. I'm very confused as to why this is wrong, because I've taken a discreet math course previously.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is wrong. Looks perfectly fine to me.

Rytif said:

Homework Statement

Create a truth table for ((P->Q) == (Q->P))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/94ldj.png

I've had two quizes with problems just like this marked wrong in my college logic course. I confronted the professor about it and he just told me to study the truth tables. I'm very confused as to why this is wrong, because I've taken a discreet math course previously.

The conditionals for P and Q are both correct. Let's work with the third wff.

Assume that (P → Q) ↔ (Q → P).

Then, we have the same truth assignments as you just have! Indeed, like the other user just said, it's correct. Maybe, you should let your professor know about this! You are actually correct!

Thank you for checking it. I went to talk to him again about it and he told me that the T/F values for P and Q were not in 'order', it's suppose to be:

P | Q
------
T | T
T | F
F | F
F | T

He was actually quite angry and scribbled on my paper incoherently with T's and F's. I've never been warned of this ordering in his class, and I guess that's what he means by memorizing the truth tables. Which seems kind of counterproductive =/

Rytif said:
Thank you for checking it. I went to talk to him again about it and he told me that the T/F values for P and Q were not in 'order', it's suppose to be:

P | Q
------
T | T
T | F
F | F
F | T

He was actually quite angry and scribbled on my paper incoherently with T's and F's. I've never been warned of this ordering in his class, and I guess that's what he means by memorizing the truth tables. Which seems kind of counterproductive =/

That ordering is completely arbitrary. I agree with you. It is counterproductive. Watch out for that guy.

1. Why does the truth table have missing values?

A truth table is incorrect when it is missing values because it does not represent all possible combinations of inputs and outputs. This could be due to human error, a mistake in the logic, or missing information in the problem statement.

2. How do I know if my truth table is incorrect?

You can identify an incorrect truth table by checking if all possible combinations of inputs and outputs are represented. If there are missing values or incorrect outputs, then the truth table is incorrect.

3. What could cause an incorrect truth table?

An incorrect truth table could be caused by human error, an error in the logic used to create the table, or missing information in the problem statement. It is important to carefully check all inputs and outputs to ensure accuracy.

4. Can I fix an incorrect truth table?

Yes, an incorrect truth table can be fixed by identifying the error and correcting it. This could involve double-checking the inputs and outputs, reviewing the logic used, or obtaining any missing information.

5. How important is it to have a correct truth table?

Having a correct truth table is crucial in scientific research and experimentation. It serves as a reference for understanding the relationship between inputs and outputs, and any incorrect information could lead to faulty conclusions and hinder the progress of a study or experiment.