1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help, using Truth Table prove that the following logic statement is a Tautology

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

By providing a truth table, show that the following logic statement is a tautology:

p ∧ (p → q) → q

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would set up a truth table with columns for p, q, and p ==> q. You know how many rows you need, right?

4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    p | q | P → q
    -------------
    T | T | T
    T | F | F
    F | T | T
    F | F | T

Thank you Mark44 but I don't think this is the correct answer/method as the output has to be true in all cases in order for it to be labeled a tautology. Any other suggestions?

5. Aug 30, 2010 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are missing at least one column, multiple columns if you want to break things down.

6. Aug 30, 2010 #5
    D H could you give me an example please as I am new to logic...

7. Aug 30, 2010 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have the truth table for implication. p→q obviously is not a tautology. You weren't asked to show that. You were asked to show that p∧(p→q)→q is a tautology. Your truth table needs to end with a p∧(p→q)→q column on the right and with all four values in this column being T.

8. Aug 31, 2010 #7
    Thank you DH, that was very helpful. My final question is, does it matter which way we write down the truth table?

e.g.

which one is correct?

p | q | P → q | p∧(p→q)→q
    ---------------------------
    T | T | T | T
    T | F | F | T
    F | T | T | T
    F | F | T | T

OR

p | q | P → q | p∧(p→q)→q
    ---------------------------
    F | F | T | T
    F | T | T | T
    T | F | F | T
    T | T | T | T

9. Aug 31, 2010 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You aren't going to get points for that. At least I hope you aren't. There is a thing called showing your work.

10. Aug 31, 2010 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To answer your question about the order, it doesn't really matter, but these are usually presented with the top row being T T ... and the bottom row being F F ...

11. Aug 31, 2010 #10
    Thank You Mark44. You have been great!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook