Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help, using Truth Table prove that the following logic statement is a Tautology

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

By providing a truth table, show that the following logic statement is a tautology:

p ∧ (p → q) → q

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would set up a truth table with columns for p, q, and p ==> q. You know how many rows you need, right?

4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    p | q | P → q
    -------------
    T | T | T
    T | F | F
    F | T | T
    F | F | T

Thank you Mark44 but I don't think this is the correct answer/method as the output has to be true in all cases in order for it to be labeled a tautology. Any other suggestions?

5. Aug 30, 2010 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are missing at least one column, multiple columns if you want to break things down.

6. Aug 30, 2010 #5
    D H could you give me an example please as I am new to logic...

7. Aug 30, 2010 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have the truth table for implication. p→q obviously is not a tautology. You weren't asked to show that. You were asked to show that p∧(p→q)→q is a tautology. Your truth table needs to end with a p∧(p→q)→q column on the right and with all four values in this column being T.

8. Aug 31, 2010 #7
    Thank you DH, that was very helpful. My final question is, does it matter which way we write down the truth table?

e.g.

which one is correct?

p | q | P → q | p∧(p→q)→q
    ---------------------------
    T | T | T | T
    T | F | F | T
    F | T | T | T
    F | F | T | T

OR

p | q | P → q | p∧(p→q)→q
    ---------------------------
    F | F | T | T
    F | T | T | T
    T | F | F | T
    T | T | T | T

9. Aug 31, 2010 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You aren't going to get points for that. At least I hope you aren't. There is a thing called showing your work.

10. Aug 31, 2010 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To answer your question about the order, it doesn't really matter, but these are usually presented with the top row being T T ... and the bottom row being F F ...

11. Aug 31, 2010 #10
    Thank You Mark44. You have been great!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook