1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is y=(-2)^x impossible to graph?

1. Aug 24, 2012 #1
    I have a question about why y=(-2)x is impossible to graph and I don't know what to say because I know that with some graph paper and a chart of values I can sure graph it pretty easily but my computer graphing program won't do it. Why not? Why is it "impossible" ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2012 #2
    What does it look like when you graph it on paper? Try doing it.

4. Aug 24, 2012 #3
    i did it and it's just a mirror image of 2^x

5. Aug 24, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think so.

I'm guessing that you graphed -2x, which is different from (-2)x. The graph of y = -2x is the reflection across the x-axis of the graph of y = 2x. The graph of y = 2-x is the reflection across the y-axis of the graph of y = 2x.

(-2)x has values that are not real for most values of x.

6. Aug 24, 2012 #5
    Are you sure? What is (-2)3/2?

7. Aug 24, 2012 #6
    Think about when x = 3/2, which would be y = (-2)3/2. This would be equivalent to y = √(-2)3. The square root of negative numbers involves imaginary numbers.

8. Aug 24, 2012 #7
    I really don't understand? (-2)^3/2 in undefined, but i can still do (-2)^2 and get 4?

9. Aug 24, 2012 #8
    Whenever [itex]x[/itex] is an integer, [itex](-2)^x[/itex] will be a real number, and thus will be something you can plot on a graph. For any other value of [itex]x[/itex], it will involve taking the root of a negative number as Peppino said, which will result in an imaginary number that you can't plot on graph paper.

10. Aug 24, 2012 #9
    okay, i understand that now, but what is the significance of taking the root of a number in this situation?

11. Aug 24, 2012 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If x is a rational number such as 3/2, then you can write ax as a3/2. (Here I'm assuming that a > 0.) This is the same as (a3)1/2 or √(a3).

If the denominator of the rational number is even, then you're going to run into problems when the radicand is negative. That even denominator translates into a square root, fourth root, and so on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook