Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why normal Zeeman effect contains three components?

1. Mar 15, 2017 #1
    Can someone explain to me why normal Zeeman effect splits spectral line into three components and not into 4, 5 or any other number?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2017 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know the selection rule for the magnetic quantum number?

4. Mar 15, 2017 #3
    Yes, it can be changed by +1, -1, 0.

5. Mar 15, 2017 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In normal Zeeman effect, states with different ##m## split, accordingly the transition lines also split according to their value of ##\Delta m##.

6. Mar 15, 2017 #5
    I know that normal Zeeman effect happens when total spin of electrons in an atom is S=0.
    This means that energy levels splitting in external magnetic field is done only on orbital angular momentum.

So for example P orbital will split into three sub-levels with slightly different energies. Now, it make sense to me that if there is transition from P orbital (L=1) to S orbital (L=0) there will be splitting to three components because P is split to three sub-levels and S orbital has no splitting.
    But what about transition from say, D to P orbital? D orbital will be split into 5 sub-levels and P orbital will be split to 3 sub-levels so that gives many more combinations for transitions, even when selection rule for magnetic moment is taken into account.
    So, (assuming total spin is zero), for D orbital we have J = 2,1,0,-1,-2 and for P orbital there is J=1,0,-1.
    Possible transitions are then:
    ##D_2 \rightarrow P_1##
    ##D_1 \rightarrow P_1##
    ##D_0 \rightarrow P_1##

##D_1 \rightarrow P_0##
    ##D_0 \rightarrow P_0##
    ##D_{-1} \rightarrow P_0##

##D_0 \rightarrow P_{-1}##
    ##D_{-1} \rightarrow P_{-1}##
    ##D_{-2} \rightarrow P_{-1}##

So there are 9 lines here, each respecting the selection rule for magnetic quantum number.
    What is wrong in this logic, where is my error in understanding?

7. Mar 15, 2017 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The formula for the transition energy under Zeeman effect is
    $$
    \Delta E = \Delta E_0 + \mu_B B \Delta m
    $$
    where ##\Delta E_0## is the energy difference without magnetic field. As you see the energy difference in the presence of magnetic field only depends on ##\Delta m##. In your example the lines ##d_2 \to p_1## and ##d_1 \to p_0## coincide.

8. Mar 15, 2017 #7
    I think I am starting to get it now...

So in my example there are 9 transitions but they are grouped such that only 3 different lines are present, right?
    If I group transitions that belong to the same line they would be like this:
    line 1:
    ##D_2 \rightarrow P_1##
    ##D_1 \rightarrow P_0##
    ##D_0 \rightarrow P_{-1}##

line 2:
    ##D_1 \rightarrow P_1##
    ##D_0 \rightarrow P_0##
    ##D_{-1} \rightarrow P_{-1}##

line 3:
    ##D_0 \rightarrow P_1##
    ##D_{-1} \rightarrow P_0##
    ##D_{-2} \rightarrow P_{-1}##

Is this correct?

Btw, This formula you gave me, it is valid only for normal Zeeman effect right? I mean g-factor is 1 in the formula which applies to singlet states with total spin equal to zero.

9. Mar 15, 2017 #8

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted