Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why only positions and velocities

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    Why is the state of a physical system completely determined by only positions and velocities, rather than (possibly) other derivatives?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This can't be answered in the framework of classical mechanics, other than by pointing out that there's a theorem that guarantees that a differential equation of the form

[tex]\vec x''(t)=\vec f(\vec x'(t),\vec x(t),t)[/tex]

has exactly one solution for each initial condition, i.e. for each pair of equations of the form

[tex]\vec x(t_0)=\vec x_0[/tex]
    [tex]\vec x'(t_0)=\vec v_0[/tex]

We're just "lucky" that the functions that describe the acceleration caused by gravitational or electromagnetic interactions have that simple form.

I believe that the reason for it can be traced back to the fact (more of a conjecture really) that any theory of interacting matter must have a low energy approximation in the form of a quantum field theory in order to be consistent with special relativity. The QFTs can contain higher-order derivatives of the fields, which (I'm guessing) imply that the best possible classical equation of motion is a more complicated differential equation. But the terms in the Lagrangian that contain those higher order terms suffer from a condition called non-renormalizability, and that makes them negligible in the low energy limit.
  4. Dec 17, 2008 #3
    Check out this YouTube video, I watched it only yesterday and I think it'll answer your question. It's 50 minutes, but well worth it!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?