Why P = F*v = ε^2/R = (vBl)^2/R when there's no friction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Karagoz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Karagoz
Messages
51
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


This is taken from a problem with its solution. But there's one thing I didn't understand with the solution:

upload_2018-3-10_15-51-41.png


A closed conductor loop is located perpendicular to the field lines in a homogeneous magnetic field B. The conductor slice CD is first in rest. Then we pull a constant force F to the right. See figure above. The absolute value of the force is 1.8 N. The conductor slice slides without friction.

After a while the speed v is constant and is equal to 4.0 m/s. The length of the conductor slice CD is 12 cm.

The electrical power in the circuit is given by:
upload_2018-3-10_16-14-27.png


The effect of the pull force F is given by: P = F*v

Since we do not have friction, these powers must be the same. And this gives:
upload_2018-3-10_16-15-32.png


How is it that the effect on the pull force P = F*v is equal to the electrical power in the circuit given by:
upload_2018-3-10_16-14-27.png
?

What's the proof?

Homework Equations


P = F*v

P = ε^2/R = (vBl)^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-3-10_15-51-41.png
    upload_2018-3-10_15-51-41.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 753
  • upload_2018-3-10_16-14-27.png
    upload_2018-3-10_16-14-27.png
    975 bytes · Views: 434
  • upload_2018-3-10_16-15-32.png
    upload_2018-3-10_16-15-32.png
    860 bytes · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate the current ##I## from Faraday's Law. You can then do two separate calculations, (a) find the force from ##F=IlB## and (b) find the power dissipated in the resistor from ##P=I^2R##. If you put the two expressions side by side, you will see that ##I^2R = Fv##.

On edit: When the rod is moving at constant speed (terminal velocity), the net force on it is zero, and that's when the magnetic force ##IlB## matches the externally applied constant force ##F##.
 
Last edited:
kuruman said:
You can calculate the current ##I## from Faraday's Law. You can then do two separate calculations, (a) find the force from ##F=IlB## and (b) find the power dissipated in the resistor from ##P=I^2R##. If you put the two expressions side by side, you will see that ##I^2R = Fv##.

On edit: When the rod is moving at constant speed (terminal velocity), the net force on it is zero, and that's when the magnetic force ##IlB## matches the externally applied constant force ##F##.

But how can we find current using Faraday's law? We can only find ε using Faraday's induction formula.

How is P = F*v derived form P = I^2*R in this case?
 
Karagoz said:
But how can we find current using Faraday's law?
Using Ohm's law.
Karagoz said:
How is P = F*v derived form P = I^2*R in this case?
What did you not understand in #2?
 
(I use capital L instead of l to make it easier to read).

Power formula: P = U^2/R

Faraday's law: U = vBL (I use U instead of ε)

Into the power formula:
P = (vBL)^2 / R

Formula for speed from Faraday's formula:
U = vBL
v = U/BL

Formula for the force on a conductor slice:
F = ILB

Current:
I = U/R

Into the formula for the force:
F = U/R * LB = ULB/R

Both the speed and power formula into the speed formula:
F*v = U/BL * ULB/R = U^2/R = P.

P = F*v = U^2/R.
 
Karagoz said:
(I use capital L instead of l to make it easier to read).

Power formula: P = U^2/R

Faraday's law: U = vBL (I use U instead of ε)

Into the power formula:
P = (vBL)^2 / R

Formula for speed from Faraday's formula:
U = vBL
v = U/BL

Formula for the force on a conductor slice:
F = ILB

Current:
I = U/R

Into the formula for the force:
F = U/R * LB = ULB/R

Both the speed and power formula into the speed formula:
F*v = U/BL * ULB/R = U^2/R = P.

P = F*v = U^2/R.
Looks good!
Is there any question?
 
cnh1995 said:
Looks good!
Is there any question?

No, I got it. thanks