Find the velocity and strength of magnetic field from the given info

In summary, a wire with a length of 7.00 cm is pulled along a U-shaped conducting rail in a perpendicular magnetic field. The total resistance of the wire and rail is 0.320Ω and pulling the wire with a force of 1.30N causes 4.50W of power to be dissipated in the circuit. To find the speed of the wire when pulled with 1.30N, the equation I = sqrt(P/R) is used, resulting in a value of 3.75 amps. Then, using the equation ε = vBL, the value of ε (1.2 V) is found. To find the strength of the magnetic field, the equation ε = vBL is
rocapp

Homework Statement

A 7.00-cm-long wire is pulled along a U-shaped conducting rail in a perpendicular magnetic field. The total resistance of the wire and rail is 0.320Ω . Pulling the wire with a force of 1.30N causes 4.50W of power to be dissipated in the circuit.

What is the speed of the wire when pulled with 1.30N ?

What is the strength of the magnetic field?

Homework Equations

ε=vBL
P=Fv
I=ε/R

I=sqrt(P/R)

The Attempt at a Solution

I=sqrt(P/R)

I=sqrt(4.5/0.32)=3.75 amps

I=ε/R

3.75 amps = ε/0.32

ε=1.2 V

ε=vBL

(1.2 V)=v(?)(0.07 m)

I'm not sure how to find the magnetic field, which I obviously need for both parts. Please help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote P = Fv as a relevant equation. Maybe it really is relevant. :wink:

Thanks!

But for the second part, I'm not sure of what to do.

F=qvB
1.3=q(3.46)B
But where does q come from?

The equation F = qvB is not relevant here. Now that you have a value for v, why not go back to your earlier equation ε = vBL?

Doh! Thanks a bunch!

Related to Find the velocity and strength of magnetic field from the given info

1. What information do I need to find the velocity and strength of a magnetic field?

To find the velocity and strength of a magnetic field, you will need the electric current, the distance from the current, and the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

2. How do I calculate the velocity and strength of a magnetic field?

The velocity and strength of a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula v = B * d * sin(theta), where v is the velocity, B is the strength of the magnetic field, d is the distance from the current, and theta is the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement for the electric current and the distance?

Yes, the electric current can be measured in amps (A) and the distance can be measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm). It is important to make sure that the units are consistent in your calculations.

4. How does the angle between the current and the magnetic field affect the velocity and strength?

The angle between the current and the magnetic field can significantly impact the velocity and strength of the magnetic field. As the angle increases, the velocity and strength decrease, and at a 90-degree angle, the velocity and strength become zero.

5. What is the importance of finding the velocity and strength of a magnetic field?

Knowing the velocity and strength of a magnetic field is crucial in understanding the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field. It can also help in various applications, such as designing magnetic devices and understanding the Earth's magnetic field.