Why period is half ? Spring problem

In summary, the mass is in contact with the spring for 1/2 of the period of oscillation. The maximum compression of the spring is at position 2.
k31453

Homework Statement

A mass m slides along a frictionless horizontal surface at speed v initial. It strikes a spring of constant k attached to a rigid wall. After a completely elastic encounter with the spring, the mass heads back in the direction it came from.

(a)In terms of k, m, and v initial, determine how long the mass is in contact with the spring.

(b)In terms of k, m, and v initial, determine the maximum compression of the spring.

Homework Equations

The one thing i don't know is why period = 1/2 ??

The Attempt at a Solution

I know horizontal force will be only the force exert by spring.
I know the algebra below:
f= 1/2π * √(k/m)

Period = P = 1/f ergo
t = P/2
= 1/2* 1/f
= 1/2 * 2π √(m/k)
= π √(m/k)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
k31453 said:
The one thing i don't know is why period = 1/2 ??

Think about the difference between this scenario and the "usual" spring oscillator where the mass is fixed to the end of the spring. What constitutes a full cycle of the oscillation?

I think you mean that the mass will be in contact with the spring for half the period of oscillation (if the mass was attached to the spring).

Yes BASIC But how ?

And I know when max displacement the T is going to be 1.

k31453 said:
Yes BASIC But how ?

And I know when max displacement the T is going to be 1.

You should listen to what gneill said. Suppose you started at zero compression or stretch (as is the case here) and max inward speed. If the mass had been attached, what would *happen* during a full period of oscillation?

How much of that happens here? Hint: the mass loses contact with the spring when the spring force goes to zero.

half period

Assume the mass is attached to the spring - a necessary condition for SHM to occur.
At position 1 the spring is relaxed.
At position 2 the mass is at its rightmost extreme position and the spring is at max compression.
At position 3 the spring is back to its relaxed state.
At position 4 the mass is at its leftmost extreme position and the spring is at max extension.
At position 5 the spring is again relaxed.

Attachments

• half period.jpg
    half period.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

1. Why is the period of a spring half the period of a pendulum?

The period of a spring is half the period of a pendulum because the forces acting on a spring are proportional to its displacement, while the forces acting on a pendulum are proportional to its angle of displacement. This means that a pendulum takes longer to complete one cycle, while a spring returns to its original position in half the time.

2. How does the mass of a spring affect its period?

The mass of a spring does not affect its period. The period of a spring is determined by its stiffness, or spring constant, and the force applied to it. A heavier mass may cause the spring to stretch further, but it will still oscillate with the same period as a lighter mass.

3. Can the period of a spring change?

Yes, the period of a spring can change depending on the factors that affect it. The period of a spring is affected by its length, mass, and stiffness. Changing any of these factors can alter the period of a spring.

4. Why is the period of a spring important?

The period of a spring is important because it is a fundamental property that determines how a spring will behave in different situations. For example, the period of a spring can affect the timing of a clock or the stability of a building. Understanding the period of a spring is crucial for designing and using springs in various applications.

5. How is the period of a spring related to its frequency?

The period of a spring and its frequency are inversely related. This means that as the period of a spring increases, its frequency decreases. The relationship between period and frequency is described by the equation T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency. This relationship holds true for all types of oscillating systems, including springs.