Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why QFT is asymptotic theory but still being very useful?

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    Please teach me this:
    Why perturbative QFT is still very useful theory?.Because perturbative QFT is asymptotic theory,so in many cases the series do not converge,then the error might be very large.
    Thank you very much for your kind helping.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Because in an asymptotic series a few lowest terms of the expansion represent a good approximation.

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3
    It seem to me that each Feynman diagram is a possible process.So If our considering includes more and more the diagrams(considering up to higher order terms in the series of perturbation) then our calculation is more and more exactly.But this considering is contrary with asymptotic QFT.(in the asymptotic series,at higher order,then it is the less exactly).So I do not understand where is the reality of the problem.

5. Oct 20, 2011 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

The reality is in non-perturbative QFT, such as lattice QFT.

6. Oct 20, 2011 #5
    So what is the verification of the ''good'' approximation at low order terms in asymptotic series?Because there is a flaw in the posing the asymptotic series in QFT.

7. Oct 23, 2011 #6
    It seem that:By perturbation procedure in QFT,the renormalization problem appears.In addition,by the procedure,there are also exist ''compensation things'' appearing among the terms of perturbation series.The compensation values are the cause of the asymptotic characteristic,but at lower order terms of the series,they influence on the terms not much.So at lower order terms,we have a good approximation.Is that correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook