Why subtract potential energy from total energy in the Schrödinger equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
39 replies · 10K views
how to post picture?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Such as the formula of the Nylex post how does post come out?
 
Whoops, haha. The original poster's name was Nylex.
I thought thinker confused LateX with Nylon and produced Nylex.
Ironically, I was still helpful.
 
dextercioby said:
Well,Tom,that's from the DEFINITION.If they don't do it in CM,

I know, and that's my point. If you show QM students the Hamiltonian without explaining what it is, then I would think they would either not understand an important facet of the science, or be entirely lost. As Galileo said in this thread, one can be taught to solve problems in QM without learning Hamiltonian dynamics. Of course that's true, but why stop there? It also would be possible to teach a math student with no physics background how to mechanically solve problems in QM. But there's an important layer of understanding that would be lost, which is why I agree with you that CM should be compulsory prior to QM.