Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why the central fringe is brighter in the double slit experiment

1. Dec 3, 2012 #1
    Why the central fringe in the double slit experiment is brighter than the others? Ive tried but I still cannot undersand this.
    Can somone try to explain it to me. I dont know too much in modern physics, please be patient :)
    thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2012 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Why would you expect it not to be the brightest?

(This is not meant to be a snarky response. I simply think it would be helpful to know if you have any specific thoughts about this so that people can address them directly instead of having to guess.)

4. Dec 3, 2012 #3
    When most of the particles land in the center, why would anyone wonder why the central fringle is the brightest?

5. Dec 3, 2012 #4
    I would say they will all be the same bright. I really dont know what contributes for a fringe to be brighter than the other. all fringes have the same phase diference, for me they sould all be the same bright. sorry for my ignorance :(

6. Dec 3, 2012 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook