Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why the tetrahedral angle is 109 deg 28 min?

1. Oct 30, 2006 #1
    Hope my question is understood.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No it isn't. Please note that if you're too lazy to explain the context of your question, then it is foolish of you to expect people to spend time and effort to give you thoughtful responses.

4. Nov 17, 2006 #3
    your identifying a special case. You would need to delve into quantum mechanics. In addition, to which molecule are your referring?
  5. Nov 17, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

To the original poster: try a Google search on "tetrahedral angle" (including the quotes, to keep the words together). Some of the first few hits look like they might be what you're looking for.
  6. Nov 17, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As posed, the question in the OP has nothing to do with physics (or chemistry) - it is a standard high school level exercise in either co-ordinate geometry or vectors.
  7. Nov 19, 2006 #6
    Sorry for forgetting my question for a long time, I am really sorry.
    I wanted to ask that in methane the HCH angle is 109 deg 28 min. How in theory is this calculated ? If this has to something with co-ordinate geometry, I would like a bit clarification.I hope my question is clear this time and I'm in the right forum.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  8. Dec 27, 2006 #7
  9. Mar 16, 2007 #8
    The tetrahedral angle can be formed by taking the midpoint of a cube and drawing four lines from this midpoint out to every other corner. It's then pretty easy to prove the angle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?