Why there is not a way to compute formulae

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter RHK
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of formulas in a physics forum. The person asks if there is a way to compute formulas but is informed that this is a forum, not a mathematical software. However, the conversation eventually leads to the discovery of LATEX typesetting being supported in the forum, allowing for the use of more elegant formulas.
RHK
Hi.

I'm not so good with english so I just question it: why there is not a way to compute formulae in this physics forum? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

RHK said:
Hi.

I'm not so good with english so I just question it: why there is not a way to compute formulae in this physics forum? :)

What do you mean "compute formulae"? As in finding solutions to an equation?

This is a FORUM, not a mathematical software.

Zz.

such capabilities are beyond us at this point

Here’s a way to compute formulae for free (outside PF); http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxima_(software)" .

600px-WxMaxima_0.7.1_screenshot.png

Sorry for the misleading.
For "compute formulas" i mean an editor that allows to write formulas in a more elegant way, i.e. x² instead of x^2, and so on...

RHK said:
For "compute formulas" i mean an editor that allows to write formulas in a more elegant way, i.e. x² instead of x^2, and so on...

There is! It's called LaTEX!

Zz.

RHK said:

PF supports LATEX typesetting. If you carefully look around you will find physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951[/URL] sticky thread in this subforum itself.

oh good! My question rises because every topic i have seen is written without latex.
I know latex, so i will use that from now on
thanks

1. Why can't we just input the formula into a computer and have it solve it for us?

Computers are not capable of abstract thinking and understanding the logic behind mathematical formulae. They can only perform calculations based on a set of pre-programmed instructions. Therefore, they cannot compute formulae on their own.

2. Can't we just create a program that can understand and solve all types of formulae?

While it is possible to create a program that can solve a wide range of formulae, it is not possible to account for every single type of formula that exists. There are constantly new and complex formulae being developed, making it impossible for a single program to understand and solve them all.

3. Why do we still need to manually calculate formulae if we have advanced technology?

Computers and other technologies have greatly improved our ability to perform calculations, but they still rely on human input and instructions. In order for a computer to solve a formula, a person needs to input the formula and the necessary instructions. Additionally, manual calculation allows for a better understanding of the formula and its logic.

4. Is there any hope for a future where computers can compute formulae?

While it is possible for technology to continue advancing and potentially create more advanced computing systems, it is unlikely that computers will ever be able to completely understand and solve all types of formulae. Some level of human input and understanding will always be necessary for complex formulae.

5. Are there any alternatives to computing formulae?

Yes, there are alternatives such as using physical models, graphing, and approximation methods to solve formulae. These methods may not always provide an exact solution, but they can still be effective in solving problems and providing a better understanding of the formulae.