Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why to change from momentum space integrals to spherical coordinate ones?

1. May 16, 2015 #1
    So I was asked to compute loop contributions to the Higgs and compute the integrals in spherical coordinates, I gave a look to Halzen book but did not found anything. Why, when and how to make that change?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suspect they mean spherical coordinates in momentum space ...

4. May 16, 2015 #3
    "[...]Change the momentum integrals to spherical coordinates[...]"

5. May 16, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So what is the problem? Going to spherical coordinates is a standard procedure from multivariable calculus.

6. May 16, 2015 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

[itex] d^3 p \rightarrow p^2 dp d \Omega[/itex]
    is quite useful ...

7. May 16, 2015 #6
    But why? because I solved loop integrals using dim regularization and other tricks and never used the change of variables. That is why I asked when to use the change of variables instead to keep using my previous methods (Used in many loop computations by some textboks like Peskin's)

8. May 16, 2015 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you perhaps use the standard forms of the integrals that you end up with in dim-reg which you can find, eg, in the end of Peskin? How do you think these integrals are evaluated?

9. May 16, 2015 #8
    oh!

On the unit sphere area?

10. May 16, 2015 #9

ChrisVer

Gold Member

why "unit" sphere area?

11. May 16, 2015 #10
    I am still wondering haha

Do not know for now... tip for clairvoyance?

12. May 16, 2015 #11

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The entire point with dim reg is to rewrite the integral in 4-d as a limit of an integral in d "dimensions". Interpreting it as the area of a d-1-dimensional unit sphere and an integral where ##p^{d-1}\, dp## has replaced the volume ##d^dp##.

13. May 16, 2015 #12

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Let's try it this way... How would you solve this integral:
    [itex] \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{a }{|p|^2+m^2} e^{-i\vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}}[/itex]
    ?

14. May 16, 2015 #13

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Why saying a unit sphere? This doesn't make sense, exactly because the ##d^d p## is a volume. The [itex]d^d p = |p|^{d-1} dp d\Omega_{d-1}[/itex] is a volume element of an "hypersphere" between radius ##p## and ##p+dp##.

edit: I think I figured it out

15. May 16, 2015 #14

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, exactly. I took one step extra and integrated the ##d\Omega##. This gives you the area of the d-1-dimensional unit sphere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook