Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why uranium glass glows green if it's under UV light?

1. Apr 21, 2017 #1

ORF

Hello

Why the uranium glass glows green if it's under UV light?

The most accurate thing I have found it's a brief history of uranium glass: somewhere it's said the more uranium oxide you put in the glass, the more intense will be the green light when exposed to UV light.

Thank you for your time.

Greetings.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fluorescence.

4. Apr 21, 2017 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

This is called "fluorescence" and is due to the Uranyl cation UO#_2^+##. Maybe best known is the fluorescence of fluorescein, which is contained e.g. in bath soaps.

5. Apr 21, 2017 #4

ORF

Hello

Thank you for your answers.

My mistake, I will reformulate the question (for a deeper answer) which transitions (of which components) converts UV into green light in the uranium glass?

Thank you for your time.

Greetings.

6. Apr 24, 2017 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

Fluorescence is usually observed for the first excited singlet to ground state transition. May be a charge transfer transition.
    Edit: Here is an article which contains information on the relevant electronic structures:
    http://doc.sciencenet.cn/upload/file/20113421491684.pdf
    The optical spectra are in deed due to electronic transfer of electrons located in p-orbitals on Oxygen to non-bonding f-orbitals on Uranium.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  7. Apr 25, 2017 #6

ORF

Thank you very much! :D

Greetings!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted