Why urinary retention and fecal retention cause confusion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cause Confusion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
sameeralord
Messages
659
Reaction score
3
Hello everyone,

I'm talking about retaining urine in the bladder,not renal failure, so I can't think of uraemia as a course. So what is the reason behind this. Thanks :)
 
Biology news on Phys.org
I do not understand the question posed in your subject line. What confusion are you talking about?

Retention of the urine in the bladder can easily be caused by an enlarged prostate and/or prostate surgery and/or prostate radiation treatments but that does not, as far as I know, have any impact at all on excretion and none of that is confusing.
 
phinds said:
I do not understand the question posed in your subject line. What confusion are you talking about?

Retention of the urine in the bladder can easily be caused by an enlarged prostate and/or prostate surgery and/or prostate radiation treatments but that does not, as far as I know, have any impact at all on excretion and none of that is confusing.

Maybe the OP's problem isn't the retention, it's the confusion about what is being retained.
 
Bladder and sigmoid colon are next to each other - if one is distended the other feels pressure. Or if you prefer, they are neighbors positioned too close for comfort.

More importantly - why do you ask so many questions like this? They look like exam questions, kind of, to me. Are you having trouble in class? Maybe we could help.
 
jim mcnamara said:
More importantly - why do you ask so many questions like this? They look like exam questions, kind of, to me. Are you having trouble in class? Maybe we could help.

Whenever I had a tough exam, retention was not the problem. :wink: :rolleyes:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara
I think OP is referring to the delirium associated with certain patients presenting with urinary retention, that was referred to as cystocerebral syndrome. AFAICT, this phenomenon is not completely understood, but it has been suggested that the central nervous response to the stress involves excess release of catecholamines. It's been suggested that this response is similar to other changes in mental state without direct complaint of pain, such as dysphoria associated with hypoglycemia.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sameeralord
sameeralord said:
Hello everyone,

I'm talking about retaining urine in the bladder,not renal failure, so I can't think of uraemia as a course. So what is the reason behind this. Thanks :)
Please respond with what you mean, people are making wild guesses.
 
Thanks fzero yes delirium was what i was thinking about. :)