Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why urinary retention and fecal retention cause confusion?

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm talking about retaining urine in the bladder,not renal failure, so I can't think of uraemia as a course. So what is the reason behind this. Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I do not understand the question posed in your subject line. What confusion are you talking about?

Retention of the urine in the bladder can easily be caused by an enlarged prostate and/or prostate surgery and/or prostate radiation treatments but that does not, as far as I know, have any impact at all on excretion and none of that is confusing.

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe the OP's problem isn't the retention, it's the confusion about what is being retained.

5. Nov 9, 2015 #4

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Bladder and sigmoid colon are next to each other - if one is distended the other feels pressure. Or if you prefer, they are neighbors positioned too close for comfort.

More importantly - why do you ask so many questions like this? They look like exam questions, kind of, to me. Are you having trouble in class? Maybe we could help.

6. Nov 9, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whenever I had a tough exam, retention was not the problem. :wink: :rolleyes:

7. Nov 9, 2015 #6

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think OP is referring to the delirium associated with certain patients presenting with urinary retention, that was referred to as cystocerebral syndrome. AFAICT, this phenomenon is not completely understood, but it has been suggested that the central nervous response to the stress involves excess release of catecholamines. It's been suggested that this response is similar to other changes in mental state without direct complaint of pain, such as dysphoria associated with hypoglycemia.

8. Nov 9, 2015 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Please respond with what you mean, people are making wild guesses.

9. Nov 9, 2015 #8
    Thanks fzero yes delirium was what i was thinking about. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook