How does myocardial infarction cause retention of urine?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary, the conversation discusses the occurrence of urine retention and its potential causes, specifically in relation to myocardial infarction and diuretic use. The person asking the question is curious about the connection between MI and bladder retention and if it is caused by a stress response. The response suggests that there is no known correlation and suggests further research into heart enzymes as a potential cause.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

How does this occur. I'm talking about retention (eg urine stuck in bladder) not the pre renal failure which myocardial infarction can obviously cause.

Also while we are at it, I also read diuretics can cause retention of urine also. That's interesting because that defeats their purpose in the first place. So how do diuretics also cause urine retention.

Biology news on Phys.org
I googled "myocardial infarction decreased urine output" and found a lot of information there.
Are you looking for something special?

Usually it is a malfunction of the kidneys which can have many reasons.
In the event of a myocardial infraction, Wiki says it's due to disturbed blood supply.
Concerning diuretics in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diuretic is much information including retention.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
@fresh_42: Thanks for the response. I'm not talking about reduced urine output, as I said in first post, cardiac insufficiency due to MI can obviously cause low output renal failure. What I'm asking is why does MI cause urine to retain in bladder. Is this due to some stress respone.

sameeralord said:
@fresh_42: Thanks for the response. I'm not talking about reduced urine output, as I said in first post, cardiac insufficiency due to MI can obviously cause low output renal failure. What I'm asking is why does MI cause urine to retain in bladder. Is this due to some stress respone.
Sorry, haven't found any correlations except that MI increases the risk for bladder cancer and as common side-effects of some drugs as Clozapine or Diazepam. If I were a P.D. I would search the list of heart enzymes that are produced by a MI and see, if they may cause urine retention. Otherwise I seriously doubt there is a connection.

Likes sameeralord

1. How does a myocardial infarction affect the urinary system?

A myocardial infarction, also known as a heart attack, can cause retention of urine by affecting the function of the urinary system. This is because the heart and urinary system are closely connected and share many nerves and blood vessels.

2. What are the symptoms of urinary retention caused by a myocardial infarction?

The symptoms of urinary retention caused by a myocardial infarction may include difficulty or inability to urinate, a feeling of fullness or pressure in the bladder, and lower abdominal discomfort. In severe cases, there may be swelling in the lower abdomen or a distended bladder.

3. How does a myocardial infarction cause retention of urine?

During a myocardial infarction, the heart muscle is damaged and can no longer pump blood effectively. This can lead to a decrease in blood flow to the kidneys, causing them to produce less urine. Additionally, the body's response to the heart attack, such as increased levels of stress hormones, can also affect the bladder and urinary system.

4. Can retention of urine caused by a myocardial infarction be treated?

Yes, retention of urine caused by a myocardial infarction can be treated. In most cases, the underlying cause of the heart attack will need to be addressed first. This may involve medications or procedures to improve heart function. If the urinary retention persists, a catheter may be inserted to drain the bladder. In some cases, bladder training exercises or medications may be recommended to help improve bladder function.

5. Does a history of myocardial infarction increase the risk of developing retention of urine?

Yes, a history of myocardial infarction does increase the risk of developing retention of urine. This is because a previous heart attack can cause long-term damage to the heart and its ability to pump blood effectively. This can lead to ongoing issues with blood flow to the kidneys and urinary system, increasing the likelihood of urinary retention.